Tundra questions

I got an 04 Tundra SR5 4WD regular cab in July and love it (best vehicle I've ever owned) but I do have a couple of questions:

  1. in reading posts to the group, I've seen mentions of changing the timing belt at 60,000 - 70,000 miles. Is this a problem with Toyotas and, if so, what are the signs the belt needs changed?

  1. my driver's side low beam headlight shines low and I'd like to raise it a bit. The owner's manual says to take it to a Toyota dealer for adjustment, but surely it can't be that hard to do. How are headlight adjustments made (which are the adjusting screws?).

TIA for any advice.

Reply to
snafu

The timing belt is due for replacement at 90,000 miles. No, it is not a problem unless it's skipped; it is a regular maintenance item--the belts deteriorate. The signs you should'a changed it? The engine stops with a clatter and you have major expense with engine repairs to fix the damage after the belt breaks and allows the valves to hit the pistons.

Get a #2 Phillips screwdriver--it has a 1/4" diameter shank. You'll find a round hole in the top of the headlight housing just the size for that screwdriver. Put the screwdriver into that hole and turn it until the light beam is where you want it.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

It's not a problem. It's a belt and requies periodic change. The owner's manual recommends 90k (as opposed to most other vehicles that recommend 60-70k)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer