water pipe rusted out on '95 toy pickup

The metal pipe on my '95 Toy pickup extending out from the top of the engine with the rubber hose connecting to the other metal pipe, which connects to the water pump (I guess), rusted out really bad. After I removed all the nasty rust, I lost about half an inch of the metal pipe so that there was a leak form that connection, which is right above the alternator. Now, I have a big problem is the factory hose is too short to connect the two metal pipes due to the loss of length for hose clamping. The inside diameters for both ends of the hose are different, one is 1.75 inch, the other is about 1.65 inch. Actually, the unit should be metric, but I measured with the conventional unit. I checked with pepboys and kragen stores. The hose they carry only have one size for both ends, 1.75 inch. They say use screw type clamp can tighten the other end o.k.. I tried it, but I'm skeptical since the hose could easily slide over the metal pipe without any resistance. To weld a short piece of pipe to the damage one seems infeasible, the other easier option is get a longer hose to compensate the lost section but stuck with the two different inside diameters. the original hose has a 90 degree bend. Any solutions to my situation will be appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

What about a shim/reducer on one end before you clamp it?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

In a daze, I read Chris Phillipo's post, then collasped.

This sounds like a dealer part. Although I'm kinda suprised that you couldn't just clamp it. But a tenth of an inch is rather big.

But isn't this pipe the thermostat housing? That could be easily replaced. You could reuse the old hose.

Reply to
Pahsons - Somnolent - Insomniac

Clean up the end of the pipe and then put a bead of JB Weld around it for retention. Let it cure for at least 24 hours, I have used this in the past for relining water pump housings and it works. You could even glue on an extension that will fit over the old pipe.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Thanks for everyone's info. I'll try to use JB weld to see if I can fix it or not.

Matt

Reply to
Matt