Hot water tube connector leaking coolant

I have a 93 F-250 with the 7.5 liter (460) engine that I recently purchased, and it started leaking coolant. The part that's leaking as basicaly a 90
degree coupler that comes out of the water pump and a hose connects to the top of that that goes to the firewall. I believe it goes to the heater core. The part is about two inches long, but when I went to the Ford dealer to get a replacement, the new one is about 5 inches long and it won't fit because it's too long and hits the bracket for the alternator, not to mention there's no way to hook up the hose to it because the connector is on the end instead of the top. I'm not able to find the same replacement part anymore. Any idea what's going on?
Ed B. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
My mistake, this part is not coming out of the water pump. It's coming out of the engine manifold.
Ed

Turns out it's called a 90 degree hot water connector. Here's the shocker, Ford wants $222.00 for this small T connector. The part number is E8TZ18599C. Any idea where I can get one cheaper?
Ed

"Ed B." < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message

$222?? Ford must be very proud of this part!! I'd call around to the local parts stores and check prices. If it comes to it, I'd hit the 'recycling' yards.
I'm not sure if this applies but: a neighbor has a '99 Chevy truck with a 350. He had a similar problem with the hose connector from the heater to the manifold. On that system, the hose fits into a hexagon connector and that connector screws into the manifold. There is a valve in the connector(plastic valve!) which had come apart and was making an annoying noise inside the cab. Anyway, he replaced that hose-connector for $30, which I thought was outrageously high, using an AC/Delco part. But $222 is a master-piece!! Ford must think its customers are spending Government money! We were gonna 'adapt' a plumbing part, but he wanted that valved-part because he assumed it was needed for some reason....anyway, maybe you can 'adapt' something less expensive.
My F100 uses regular " plumbing nipples for connecting the heater hoses to the engine.
Maybe something here will help....
Dave S(Texas)
LIke Plasyd said, hit the wrecking yards. jor

You got it. Drive a dodge, and you get REAL good at finding parts in junkyards!
(In the market for a T2 shortblock)
Plasyd
I called a couple other Ford dealers and they all wanted $222 for the part, so I went to Home Depot and found two small pieces of pipe that did the trick. I think they're for plumbing, but one is an elbow with 1/2" on one end and 3/8" on the other. The 1/2" end goes into the manifold and I screwed a short piece of pipe onto the 3/8" end which is what I hooked the hose up to. Doesn't leak at all. Total cost, $3.00.
Ed B.

Way To Go Ed! Now _that's_engineering!
DS

Is that safe? I mean, you won't blow your engine or anything will you?
Brian

part,
Called using yer head. That works, too. Pays to be creative.
Plasyd
replying to Ed B., AL B. wrote:

Just wanted to let you know your not alone. The top of my connector collapsed so I don't have a place to connect the hose to with the clamp. and yes it comes off the manifold. I went to a junk yard and it seems it has to come off of a 460. I found a dealership in Kansas that has them but they are over $200.00. Let me know what you find out! I might try to weld a tube on the top and reattach the hose and see if this works or try one more junk yard. If I find more than one (yeah right) I will get it!!! The part # I got was E8TZ18599C Please get back to me if you find out anything! AL B.
read thru http://goo.gl/OzbdUa
ask: Ford Super Duty Truck enthusiasts forums
see: Loctite slip fit thread lockers
On Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 5:37:38 PM UTC-7, Ed B. wrote:

trim the hose until it fits, it's more or less universal for several engines and it's a bypass hose that carries water up into the intake manifold to keep it heated.

Site Timeline