We need more power !!!!

Can anyone give any suggestions for my 94 ext 4x4 4-cyl. It is a DOG - no power. It has 140,000 on it and I just has the timing chain redone- I wish I would have put that money into a new engine. I had a 91 with a v-6 and

266,000 and it ran circles around this thing.

I do have 31's on it - so I know that doesnt help. I just out a new cat back exhaust on the thing, it actually helped a little out of the hole, but not much.

Any suggestions?

-ysgi

Reply to
YSGI

Hook up some nitrogen bottles.

The money you spent on a timing belt/chanin and the money you will spend on hopping up the 4 cylinder. Would have been better spent just by buying a 6 cylinder. I have a 89 Mazda with 31" tires and a 4 cylinder. It robs power big time, also gets worser gas milage, but it is my secondary truck.

Reply to
Brian

I'll just drive downhill everywhere I go.

Reply to
YSGI

I have an '86 4Runner with a 22-RE 4-cylinder engine in it. The stock horsepower rating on it is 116HP. I added a K&N filter charger kit (from Downey Off-Road), a 4-into-1 header (from Northwest Off-Road), a free-flow catalytic converter (from Downey Off-Road) and a Borla Cat-Back exhaust system (from Downey Off-Road). I later rebuilt the engine boring out the block .040" over stock, put in a set of Keith Black Silvo-lite pistons, a TRD Mid-Range cam, a new head from LC Engineering out in Arizona, an MSD Off-Road 6 Ignition System, and a set of Bosch Platinum-4 plugs running through a set of Accell 8.5mm plug wires. I am also running 31" tires on it but I have changed my gears from the stock 4.10:1 ratio to a 4.56:1 ratio for better acceleration and gear to speed matching on the highway. I have not put it on a dyno but am guessing somewhere in the ballpark of 145-150 HP. I am getting around 18-20mpg in the city and about 23-25mpg on the highway. Everything else on the truck is stock so I don't have a heavy bumper or air-busting roof rack.

Now, having said that, I wish I had V8 power but I just couldn't afford to drop a bigger engine in there when I did the upgrades. I am pleased with the fact that it still runs very well considering all the mods I've made to it and it is a straight and rust-free body in very good shape compared to most of the other 1st generation 4Runners that I see. I will continue to upgrade it as time and money allows but, in the meantime, I'll accept the fact that it'll never be a road-burner (wasn't designed to be) and be thankful that I still get offers to buy it from total strangers. 240K and still going....

Hope this helps give you an idea of what is possible with the little

4-banger. Sorry if I rambled. M

Reply to
Toy_Man67