Another Toyota tops 300k

It did it. It made 300,000 today. Truck is a '93 4x4 SR5, 5 speed, Extra, king or whatever they are calling the larger cab now. The V6 is still going strong, but it did have a valve job at

240k. I discovered the stock air filter is not designed for a mile of dirt driveway and hard off-road use. It lets a lot of dirt past and that adds up over the miles. I now oil the filter like you do a dirt bike and the engine is very happy. Spark plugs clean, oil is cleaner, throttle body is perfect, and it runs better.

I knew only a crash would stop this truck from reaching 300k, and it about did at 270k. I was not driving it at the time, but a 1ton Chevy ran a stop light and my little Toyota slammed into the drivers side wheel at 55mpg. Both drivers OK, but both trucks totaled. Chevy had a snapped axle and my poor Toyota had the radiator wrapped around the engine.

Before saying goodby, I figured I would see if it still ran. A prybar made quick work of removing the radiator from the engine and duct tape held up the broken, dragging bits. Trucks got heart as it started right up and had no problems going down the road best you could expect with no belts and radiator. How could I send this truck to the scrap yard?

Frame fixed, new body panels and a bunch of new parts to replaced the smashed one, and it's back on the road and drives like nothing happened. Unless it swaps paint with something with 18 wheels, it's going to hit

400k.

Oh, and the starter and alternator and most other parts have not been touched in

300k miles. AC gave out at 200k and the power steering pump did not last long after the impact, but that is about it.

Why can't Chevy, Ford, Dodge make parts that last this long? I am darn tired of giving friends rides to the shop because the "Built like a Rock" alternator went out yet again and they only have half the miles I do.

I now will step off the soap box. See you at 400k!

-Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Glad to hear your truck is running strong, one thing I was really impressed with is your mileage shoot, If I was getting mpg's like you are I would have rebuilt the truck after any accident too.

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

My 91 Pickup 4x4 ext cab V-6 is stuck at 266K. I lost my job driving around fixing Dell computers while putting on 200-300 miles per day. So its pretty much at a stand-still now. It still runs VERY VERY strong. In fact I just bought a 94 4x4 ext cab

4-cyl with 140k and the v-6 with almost double the miles runs much better. Im a little unhappy with the 4-cyl, but the body is in better shape (no rust). But together my toyota trucks have over 400K so there.

-wise guy

PS:> The 91 v-6 is for sale

Reply to
YSGI

I have a 1992 Toyoto extended cab, 4 cylinder motor.

I have 276k miles.

Have replaced the following:

air mass sensor ( at 20k) fuel pump in gas tank clutch

transmission whines in 5th gear.

have lifetime brake pads from AutoZone, and have replaced brakes pads at least 4 times.

Get around 29.6 miles per gallon.

one set of tires lasted 90k miles.

jerry

YSGI wrote:

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

my mom has a 87 4banger and it has 299,000 and has only had the fuel pump replaced, she also has a 85 celica that is pucking 320,000 and has only had the alternator replaced. i have a 93 4banger with 131,000 and it runs as strong as my buddies 95 6 cyl. you can't beat a toyota

Reply to
93toy4x4

I am be interested in- oil consumption.

My '93 corolla just turned 324K miles, still w/ original std tranny. It uses one quart odf oil every 1.3K miles.

I am thinking of getting a Tacoma w/ std tranny 4x4 and 4 cyl engine. What mileage should I expect?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Silverman
1.3K miles per quart. That seems about right. Now at 301K, I use 1 quart every 2K miles. Still cheaper then a new engine or new truck.

I have a friend that tried to find a Tacoma with a stick. Looked all over but could not find anything new, 4 door and 4x4. He got an auto, and it's quite nice, but I don't like it. Too touchy to me. Once your foot touches the throttle, your out of your parking space and in the one behind you.

Reply to
Eddie

Hmm, not touched the mass air sensor or fuel pump. But my clutch is not going to last another 50k. I figure I will fix it when it comes time to rebuild the tranny.

I hope you are getting 19.6 mpg and that is a typo. I am luncky to see

18 and that is driving very slow.

Reply to
Eddie

Nope... 29.6 miles per gallon.

I have a log book dating from time car was new, miles/gallons/cost/location.

I have consistently got 29-30 miles per gallon. Rarely over 30.

I live in country, and typically drive 60 mile round trip on work days.

When mpg drops, I change plugs, air filter etc. Just noticed on last two fillups, mileage had dropped to 27-28 miles per gallon.

Will replace spark plugs and air filter this weekend.

I think about buying a car that gets better gas mileage, but don't like the idea of car pymts.

j.