Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't found it.

Reply to
John Smith

I have looked in the chilton's and hayes' manuals and I can't seem to find the oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't found it.

Any ideas on where it is?

Reply to
stuckintucson

Thank you for the response. I thought I was losing my mind. I don't understand why the Checker salesperson would sell me a oxygen sensor if I don't need one...interesting.

Since I don't have an oxygen sensor, is there anything else I can do to pass emissions? She's pumping out alot of CO.

Thanks again.

Reply to
stuckintucson

emissions? She's pumping out alot of CO.

I have a "California" '88 with the 22R. There is indeed an O2 sensor, it's in the exhaust manifold, just before the head pipe flange. I have no idea why a carburated engine would have a sensor, but it does. I changed mine at about 170,000 miles. I can't tell that it made any difference and thought about leaving it out, but the guy at the smog test station said his book shows it and if it isn't there he's have to fail it...

Tom...

Reply to
TOM

I looked at the exhaust manifold and there's nothing there. There isn't even a wire or anything else to connect it.

Perhaps the "California" 22R is slightly different?

I guess I'll just have to play with the carb...

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
stuckintucson

Do you think the "california" 22R is different?

Reply to
stuckintucson

oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't found it.

In the manifold unless its a California, then in the exhaust under the drivers seat.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Oh, but they do have an oxygen sensor. Its to run the air injection or air suction system.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Your not, they do have an oxygen sensor.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

My 1985 Toyota 4x2 doesn't have one (non California) but my 1985 Toyota Truck Repair Manual does show an O2 sensor for California models for the Air Suction System

Lo and behold, it does show a computer, but not in the EFI sense, the sole computer on my 85 truck is connected to a speed sensor

Reply to
John Smith

In addition to mine being a "California" vehicle, it's also two years newer than yours. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I bet the combination of the two does... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I mentioned this in the other post, but, yes, I have to assume they are, that and the year, mine's an '88...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Yeah, its an emission computer and a majority of them from about 1986 onward with carbs had them. It wont affect running, just the air injection stuff.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

My '88 has it in the manifold, but, as I mentioned before, it's two years newer than the one in question, and a California model...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM