Carbureted 22r "oxygen sensor" explained

I remember a while back someone asked the question concerning why a carbureted 22r has an oxygen sensor. First, it isn't an oxygen sensor and has nothing to do with any fuel management or mixture adjustment. It is an exhaust temperature sensor that controls how much air the air pump (if you still have it in operation) injects into the exhaust stream to allow the catalytic converter to do its job and keep emissions to a minimum. Equipped vehicles should have a catalytic converter, exhaust temp sensor, emission control computer (small plastic box the size of a cigarette pack, usually above a kick panel) and the good ol' e.g.r. system. My 1981 4x4 came with all of the above, missing most now.

Reply to
firepumper1

I asked the question, thanks.

My pickup doesn't have an air pump, but has the computer and EGR...

Reply to
TOM