Auto Trans control; 96 Tacoma

I have a 96 Tacoma, 4cyl automatic. There is a button in the shift column that you push to activate ecomony mode for the transmission. It makes the O/D go into gear earlier than it would otherwise. This is great for gas mileage, etc. Now, all of a sudden it seems, it takes longer for the trans to shift into O/D. I can get on the freeway and it stays in 3rd gear, even when I am driving 85 mph, until the engine gets warm. I say warm, but it isn't really warm yet. Once the engine does get warm, the trans shifts OK like it is supposed to. My question is, what controls the trans shifting, I mean, I know it is the computer that controls is, and there are sensors, but which one controls this situation? Thanks.

--JIm

Reply to
rollee