40hp runs smooth

Posted a couple times to this NG during my new 40hp rebuild and start. This NG's comments and opinions have been enlightening and very useful-Thank you. Currently my bug is running fine with a couple of exceptions. The distributor is still 180 degrees off. I am waiting for a puller to arrive in the mail so that I can pull and turn the shaft out and replace 180 degrees different. I am still leaking alittle oil around the front seal. I feel that I didn't get enough pounds on that bolt so I will probably have to pull the engine again and with a torque wrench get that baby tightened on. With these issues in mind and to the point of my post....The engine doesn't seem to have alot of zip. Previously, I had a big bore kit on this engine but when I began to rebuild this engine I couldn't find the big bores so I had to settle for the standard pistons......maybe I'm just use to alittle more poop. It sound smooth and revs smooth but it takes it own sweet time. Granted, I only have about 50 miles on this engine, the performance is lethargic. Would any of the aforementioned make the engine not perform spectacular? I've checked the timing and it seem to be right on. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like a normal stock 40 horse to me. They seem happier if you let them take you places. As opposed to trying to drive them.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
KWW

The leak might not be because the flywheel bolt is not tight enough. And if you have a leak because of the flywheel the bolt loose, you=20 better tighten it _NOW_ than 100 kilometers later. If the flywheel=20 gets loose, you have a lot to repair in there.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:27:26 -0800, "Mike" scribbled this interesting note:

Why? It is the orientation of the plug wires that matters, not the orientation of the distributor. If the wires are in the correct order and the engine is running fine, don't bother until you need to adjust the timing or some other similar thing.

John Willis