70 Ghia starts but stalls

So far basic troubleshooting has been done and not helped. My 70 Ghia had been sitting for a while and I decided to get it going again. To avoid some potential pitfalls I did the following:

New battery, carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, cables, points

- all these things new

I was able to start the car after a few minutes and now it starts perfectly and beautifully every time with no effort, however it will not stay running unless I am pumping the gas. If I rev it to higher RPMs it will get there and a 3 seconds later will die unless I give it a little gas, even when warm. Constant gas will stall it. I can drive it but have to gas, let off, gas let off, gas let off, and keep revving it at lights or it will stall.

Fuel is getting to the fuel filter and carb, I can see the fuel squirting in the carb when I rev it. I've adjusted the carb, tested the intake manifold rubber for leaks with some starter spray and nothing. I have had a few vw friends look at it and they've done the same basic tests and carb adjustment but have not been able to get the car to idle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
albertofox

Adjusted the carb how? Sure you have the correct procedure?

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I vote clogged idle jet and/or main jet in the carb! I will assume you have a stock 1600 single port engine in it and you followed the directions adjusting the carb.

Did you adjust the valves?

Maybe you have a vacuum leak. Is this an automatic stick?

My '70 Beetle has been sitting since 1992 and I have no doubt that if I free up the points, install a battery and give it fresh gas, it will start and run well. Love these air-cooled engines. lol It will either sit another 5 years waiting until I restore it, or I will have to sell it when I sell its storage place.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have a new carb, I hope not!

It's a stock 1600 dual port with a new Bocar carb. I had my brother adjust first, then a tech from Bob Costas Enterprises did it.

Not yet, I am doing that next.

We did a test with some starter spray to the rubber on the manifold and no surging.

Nope, It's a standard

I'll let you know how it goes after the valve job.

Thank you, I appreciate your help!!!

Reply to
albertofox

I bought a car that did this , It would run for a while and then not. It was the carbon canister that "processes" fumes from the tank. If you hear any "hiss" when you remove the gas cap. It's a partial vacuum forming in the tank. replace the canister. Good Luck ! Isn't the ACVW community helpful?

Reply to
A Veteran

Hi and Happy New Year! Thanks for the response.

On Dec 31 2007, 7:37 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote: > I vote clogged idle jet and/or main jet in the carb! I have a new carb, I hope not!

I'll let you know how it goes after the valve job.

Thank you, I appreciate your help!!!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi and Happy New Year! Thanks for the response.

On Dec 31 2007, 7:37 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote: > I vote clogged idle jet and/or main jet in the carb! I have a new carb, I hope not!

I'll let you know how it goes after the valve job.

Thank you, I appreciate your help!!!

Reply to
Kirk

Double check the idle cut-off solenoid & wiring.

Reply to
Bill

yes, pull the connector and re-connect listening for the "click" ignition on of course. some just cut the end off the stopper inside the solenoid. Good luck.

Reply to
Veteran