Baby food jar lids. Gerber

as summer arrives I replace the clean air tubes with baby food jar lids/ they fits nice n tight over the ducts . conserveing the cooling air.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for something to plug up those ducts with.

Reply to
Packrat46

Some will argue thats a no no, due to the fact the heat exchangers are designed to have a slight draught threw them even with heating shut off. The argument is that the heads will overheat....

Personally I find this a tad vague to say the least...

Reply to
P.J. Berg

please don't suggest others do this..your car is yours to do with the way you see fit, however if you don't remove your heater boxes and replace them with j-tubes at the same time you are running the risk of burned exhaust valves and cracked heads.....heat exchangers are designed to scavenge heat from the exhaust that would normally be pushed out the tailpipes...this heat is used to heat the passenger compartment...heat exchangers are purpose designed and they do their job....if there is no airflow through them(there is flow even when the heat is "off", to vent excess heat) they will still do their job....transfer heat....no airflow, means the heat is transfered to exhaust ports and also radiates upward to heat the entire head....what seems like a good idea, to give "extra" cooling air to the engine, is actually counter-productive....Jake Raby even made a statement on this after his cooling system tests....look for it at shop talk forums...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

So, you only have to post one more helping post this year LOL

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I've used the rubber adjust freeze plugs in the past...no problems from hot heads in mine. If a guy was worried about extra heat, would'nt some aluminum flashing wired in place take care of it? Dennis

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

"Joey Tribiani" wrote in news:AHiXf.7140$t22.7104@dukeread08:

Had to think a bit on this - of course all I've worked with are T4bus motors. The airflow through the heat exchangers is "always on" - the heater boxes merely divert it to either the cabin or the outside. That said, I used to disconnect my booster fan from time to time and that would cause overheating unless I plugged the holes in the cooling tin where the booster hooked up, as cooling air would escape through those holes. It was very significant on the bus motor - I had the 4 cyl headtemp gauge to prove it - years ago, so don't ask me numbers.

I would argue that airflow designed into the heat exchangers should be left untampered with. If flow to the cabin is the issue, deal with it at the heater boxes.

Reply to
Busahaulic

hint #2 The Hot VW's mag. May'06 has and article on deflecting heat away from the heads. like a shield.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

a heat sheild may handle the radiant heat that rises, which is actually very minimal while moving...but unless you disconnect the pipe from the heat the heat can, and will transfer back to the head.....the heat exchanger's only reason for being is to scavenge heat and then pass it off...it will do that....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani