bugpack windage pushrod tubes and the pushrod seals from hell

I'm not sure what I did wrong this time; I've rebuilt motors before using standard pushrods with no difficulty. This was my first time using these heavy-duty "windage" pushrod tubes. Every time I start to torque down the heads, one or more of the seals would get squished out into the head. I had each head pulled off at least three times to yank the tubes out, tweak them, bend them, compress them, twist them, yell at them, ... Eventually I managed to get them to work, but I wouldn't be surprised if by morning one of them won't have its seal squished back out into the head... I've verified deck height, pushrod geometry, length, etc and nothing is out of spec. Are heavy duty tubes just a pain to deal with? or was I doing something wrong?

Reply to
Scott