checking an engine that is out of a car

I seen an ad in the local paper for a 71 engine (out of a super beetle) the guy said that he bought the car from a person who had just had the engine rebuilt ( I know they all say that) and then his floor rotted out so he sold the car to this guy. He pulled the engine and transaxle for a buggy project and scraped the body. it has been sitting in his garage since, he is not building his buggy and cleaning out his garage. he is asking $150.00 for the engine, he says the engine is complete and on a stand. he said he drove the car home when he bought it. is there anything that I can check besides crank pulley play on an engine on a stand. I do have a irs transaxle in my garage how hard would it be to bolt it up for a starter and run the engine, what wires would need to be hooked up to the battery besides the starter and a wire to the coil. is there a way to check compression if there is not a starter hooked up. or instead of running the engine just hook the starter and crank it to check compression. any information would be helpful Thanks in advance David

Reply to
David

jimt

You can check compression by pulling all the plugs and rolling it over by hand. Not as accurate as using the starter, but you can get a good idea.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Don't let it scare you , cranking up a motor on the shop floor is easy .... Two people make it real easy , A set of good jumper cables and a switch for the coil and a switch for the starter solenoid helps ...Get it on a flat surface and use a couple of 2X4's under the heater boxes ..... Be careful with where your hands are and practice fire safety...

I use a ignition panel out of a stock car with a push button starter switch and on /off switch .... the jumper cables are hooked to a battery + to starter ..... battery - to engine block .... hot wire to on / off switch to coil ... on / off switch to push button to solenoid...

A piece of hose from a small gas can to the mechanical fuel pump ( if it has a electric pump gravity feed it into the carb ) and your ready to find out if you have a diamond or a lump of coal .... I wouldn't run it long but it doesn't take long to find out what you got .

sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder

checking end play is what we always try to do....

The bellhousing on an autostick tranny is removeable without cutting.

Reply to
MN AirHead