Building a VW engine-start-stand

Anyone have plans or advice on making a VW engine stand?

Ideally I would like to use a old tranny bell housing and starter allowing the engine to be started on the stand.

Thanks. Paul

Reply to
ppalmer

That was my idea also... figured I'd try to find a busted transaxel and cut or torch most of it off and figure some way to secure it to a solid bench... should be fun...

Good Luck..!!

Reply to
GunHack

Torch *not* recommended. Sawzall.

Better is to find a Bay Bus bellhousing.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

no plans or advice, but i do have a pic (not a very good one, though):

bobzee1

Are the transmission cases also made of magnesium?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Here's mine.

Look in HomemadeVW Tools Album.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Cross

HA, I bet it really goes when the afterburner kicks in (open exhaust headers on red 2 gallon gas can)!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thats a great picture of the frame on the table You have to love when you can park your beetle on your picnic table. I'm sure the wife has different thoughts.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

hee-hee. i always keep a fire extinguisher handy. the setup i have (shown in the picture) is definitely not safe! don't try this at home! :~)>

Reply to
bobzee1

Any year? 68+ If not, what year range?

Paul

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
ppalmer

'68 to '75 Bay. Later than that and the flywheel diam was bigger. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
ppalmer

Hi Mike,

Excellent! What bell housing did you use?

I would like to use your pictures, can I copy them onto a VW website I started at

? Any help on writing an article on how to build this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Michael Cross wrote:

Reply to
ppalmer

Help yourself. If you would like some other Pics of a particular area let me know. I just built it out of material I had around the shop. The square tubing was left over from the trailer I built to pull behind my motorcycle for long trips. I haven't actually finished it yet. I am wanting to make a dash with Oil pressure gauge, Tach, Amp guage, etc.. But don't want to spend a lot for them..The Bell Housing is a 3 Rib Bus housing. Not sure what years they came on though, I am sure folks here would now more about that than I.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hi all.

Mike, I got your pictures in the article, thanks!

Since I am not a great welder, I am thinking about getting a cheap engine stand from harbor freight.

Please add/edit any comments.

Paul

Michael Cross wrote:

Reply to