Wonderbus: Sometimes it's not quite easy

Tales of the Wonderbus continue.

After the overheat event I thought I pretty much had things in hand.A valve seat at #4 cylinder was cracked so new heads have been obtained and are being cleaned up, cc'd and prepared to be opened up for a nice reasonable CR for a bus. Cylinders honed and scrubbed, carded and painted. Pistons inspected and cleaned and ready for re-use. Yesterday I received one of aircooled.net's nice $99 engine floor stands so I could stop stooping down to work on the engine which has been sitting on my $69 ATV lift. Now with the engine up at a workable level, I was ready to go.

So I rotated it so I could find TDC on #1 using the brilliantly simple stop-bolt method and check deck height (the pulley's helpful TDC mark is off by 3 degrees).

But hello -- what's this? The piston bushing at the small end of #2's connecting rod is rotated, so that the oil holes don't line up. That can't be right. Hmmm . . . #3 is the same way. Look closer and . . . what the?!? #2's bushing is cracked.

Darn it. The overheat not only toasted a head, but the accompanying detonation whaled on the pistons so hard that I might very well have spun or hammered crank bearings. Or a bent piston rod.

Jeepers -- a little overheating goes long way! Need to invent an air pressure switch wired to a Klaxon horn to alert the driver if the blower ever stops.

(I'm waiting for Bob Hoover to weigh in right about now and explain to me what a nimrod I am...)

Anyhoo, rather than trying to get the Wonderbus running right away, I decided to take the pressure off myself and have scored a spare set of wheels (84 Westie, stock, 68k miles) for summer use while I TAKE MY TIME and tear the Wonderbus's engine down entirely. While I am at it, I will remove the silly aftermarket cam ("Hey buddy -- what that bus needs is a wilder cam!"), install a stock cam and time the valve train, and do some modifications to improve oil flow throughout the engine and the rockers a la the stuff that Bob H. has written about.

Cracking the case . . . I didn't wanna do it, I didn't wanna do it.

But given the dreadful workmanship and crap parts I found /outside/ the case on this "new" 1776, I figure that what's inside can't be any better.

Tell my wife I love her, boys -- I'm goin' in.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

May the Schwartz be with you.

We'll be here to help you get through it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

...woohoo...more tools. =-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

...........WooHoo!!!.............This going to get good. I'm going to be cracking the case on mine too but I think I'll wait and learn from your experience before I jump in. Lead the way Squirrel, I'm right behind you...........

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...hell my case is cracked and scattered all over what would be a dining room floor in a civilized household. =-) I actually would have started assembling today, but decided to replace the stud for the oil pickup tube, and don't have one on hand...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:25:16 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

careful Squirrelman.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Anyone got duct tape?

;) Jan

Reply to
Jan

good eyes Mike; lots of guys overlook those bushings and hole alignment.

John

Reply to
John Connolly

Lead the way Squirrel, I'm right behind

Just step away from the squirrel and keep both hands in the air.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I've become very suspicious about everything on this engine. But still, thanks. A year ago the inside of the engine compartment looked like a bunch of undifferentiated and barely identifiable parts.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

To prevent the case from cracking?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Good luck to all y'all cracking and rebuilding cases. Remember, I have a very nice 1776 complete with dual dual webers looking for a good home. The rt head kept sucking valves and I gave up on. Should just need a new head and it still turns by hand. Anybody looking for one? I am in washington state. Make you a great deal......*8-}

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik EK III & Thumper Ride w/me all that groks is god BS# 139 DOF# 69

Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Umm.. yes, that's it :)

Jan