Coil temp

I recently replaced my generator (12v) in my 61 bug with a 55amp Motorola alternator (12v). Since doing so I think my coil is quite warm. I never really noticed it being so hot before. I this because of the alternator swap and should I upgrade the coil as well?

Thanks

Reply to
MicroBiz

Well the coil tends to get pretty warm anyway...

MicroBiz wrote:

alternator

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Buy a backup if you feel safer with one, and check the spark on yours. Long as it keeps firing, you oughtta be fine.

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

If your coil is the correct 12V Bosch coil, you should be fine. If you're still using the old 6V coil you better replace it with a Bosch coil from a 12V VW.

If you replace it with a 12V coil from some other source, you may need to add a ballast resistor to limit the coil current.

-

Jim Adney

The difference between the 12volt and 6volt coils is the 12volt has a ballast resistor built into it. This will reduce the current flowing through the coil and points.

I recommend you install a 12volt coil to prolong the life of the points, and even an electronic point replacement module if you use one.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

Not really, although this seems to be "common knowledge" out on the web.

If you had ever taken one apart you'd know that there's no resistor in ANY coil. If they want more resistance they just wind it with thinner wire.

The main difference between 6V and 12V coils is the turns ratio. The

12V coil has fewer turns in the primary, but they are made of finer wire to up the resistance as well. -

Jim Adney