Conversion Shops in L.A.?

I found a couple of places online that will import a VW from Mexico and swap the pan so that it's okay to register(new other than the old pan) - but they want twice what a VW in Mexico costs.

Q: is there someplace where I can get this done at a reasonable price? I don't need a *new* Bug - a 2-5 year old one would easily do. I've seen several for $2-$3K in mint condition, so...

How much and where would I get this conversion done? I can easily locate a pan assembly from an old project VW - that's easy as well.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Sometimes it is worth it to purchase a older car with all the restoration work done, with clear title, if you just want to turn the key and go have fun, this may be right for you.

Reply to
Douglas

I'd rather have a newer car from Mexico due to steering, gaskets, electrical and other subsystems. Swap the pan out and there you go. Check out Ebay's Mexico site - mint condition 2-5 year old Beetles for less than a decent running 1970's model goes for.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

everyone has a different view...i think that all the time spent, money, and pride of doing it yourself makes the lil car *that* much more enjoyable...it also makes it more "personal", which is what draws most vw lovers to their vw's...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I would love to have a new one from Mexico myself. Just to be able to take one from day one to 35 years down the road would be awesome. I agree that you get much more satisfaction from redoing one yourself but its really hard to find the time to do a complete redo for some of us. I have a 69 that I would love to completely tear apart and cream out but I just don't have the time. I still like driving it better than my 04 convertible just because I brought it back to life after 20 years of sitting and its so fun to drive. Doug

enjoyable...it

Reply to
DougnKaren

i hear that....i don't have the time to fart and scratch my ass at the same time these days...but i am in no hurry...i have already finished the pan and suspension, and now its just body and interior....and the stroker....woot woot....if it takes another five years or better, then no biggie....will be worth it in the end...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I'm with Chris on this one, if the electrical needs replacement, do it your self for about US$150. You'll have full understanding of all electrical issues. I drew small schematics of the individual circuits so that I can refer to these when troubleshooting in the future. If you need, get two beater cars, that way you can still drive while one is non-drivable. If you get two of the same year, you can swap any part from the hanger queen to the driver. I bought Clayton for US$375, needing lots of help. I don't know how much I put into him, but I did the electrical, then all the brakes, including master cylinder, for probably US$120. While I was there, I replaced all CV boots, and all bearings. The boots and bearings probably cost another hundred. This way, you know how things work, and could re-do the job in a pinch.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

The newer vehicles also have several parts and options that are not available on the 1970's models. IT's just so much easier to find a couple year old one in Mexico and "cherry it out" much like you'd do to a one-owner model. All the little things that wear, from the liner and seats, to rust and so on - not a factor.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph, as i said, it is all personal opinion and actually one's personal choice...the ones that enjoy the "journey" start at the begining, those that enjoy the "destination" tend to either save money and time by buying a mexi that is modded or a completed project...do what is good for you, and be happy and enjoy the vw...that is what they are for(in my opinion)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Kay. :) I'm this sort of person I guess. I like the ride. I'd buy an Optima if I had that type of cash and convert the pan out so I could drive it, collector's value or not. The thought of a new bug with a 20+ year lifespan that's all mine appeals to me. :) Yeah, 10-12K is a bit high, but it's not a bad thing, really considering a crummy Echo costs that much.

But - how much is a pan swap goig to cost? Is this simple or does it mean a total stripping of the other car and replacing everything?

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph, that i can't tell you..i have never paid anyone to work on a vw for me, so i don't have any idea what it would cost...as far as work, yeah it is a bit of work, but not bad...a compitant mechanic that knows vw's could take a prepaired pan(all suspension, pan rust, etc already taken care of) and the mexibeetle and mate them in a couple days or less(less *I* believe)and it be ready to go....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Cool. So all I really have to do is locate one and get a truck/tow it over? Or are there a ton of forms? I figure it would be pretty much like declaring a vehicle non-operational is - pay a fee and ship it where and how you want. Registration isn't their problem anymore.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Hi.On the various auction sites and Samba rolling pans come up all the time,for kit car use,buggies ect.Just be sure it comes with a good title.When you clean/fix it to your satisfaction get a mexibeetle and do the bodyswap.I'm not sure of the legality but it has been done.Personally,there are still nice resto projects out there,but the mexibeetle will be quick and clean-something projects tend to be (not)Enjoy.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

that i can't tell you...i have never imported a vehicle....hell i've only bought one in my life that was even out of state...hehe

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

...prolly would have cost ya a lot less if ya add up all the broken hi po engine parts....lol; =-)))))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I see. It is legal as all you are really doing is assembling replacement parts onto the old frame. That it's 100%, right down to the suspension and gas tank... oh well...

I figured: $2500-$3500 for the car $1500 for the swap at a good shop(3 days labor - 24hours@$60) $500 for a rolling frame, plus $500 for prep and to make as good as new. My friend's trailer and SUV and a road-trip. :)

That's reasonable, IMO, considering you get all new parts and a classic model would cost $4000-$8000 in showroom condition.

I'd also get A/C and a decent catalytic converter and a few other goodies on the newer models(better dash, steering wheel, and seats for one).

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

LOL(yes i can laugh at it *NOW*)....you are right sir...actually NO you are not...LOL....i "learned" in my early years of tinkering with vw's from the "experts" around me and in the *cough* magazines....alot of busted parts, alot of wasted money, and alot of hard to keep clean chrome later, i am more knowledgeable...LOL....(and i put some flaps and thermo back on my engine....you do realize that is the first hipo mod out there don'tyou? LOL)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

snip