current AMP ratings for wiring harness

Hello,

I'm building a custom wiring harness, and need to use the appropriate wire and connectors.

Specifically, I need to know how much current the following wires draw:

1) ignition: I'm using a Bosch coil, and either points or a pertronix 2) starter: the smaller wire that fires the starter solenoid

I'm planning on using Delphi weatherpack connectors, and they have a maximum rating of 20 amps/terminal, so I just wanted to be sure these connections would be under that limit. These are the only ones I can think of that (aside from the alternator at ~ 65 amps) would be drawing a lot of current in the engine compartment (if there are others, please let me know!)

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I'd think you'll be fine at 20 amps for all but the Alternator connection. It should be a fairly heavy connector. you can also find a weather resistant single or double connector that will be acceptable for the purpose. I suppose the objective here is to make a "quick connection" to remove/install the engine. Make a quick connect for the fuel line too..............something like an air hose quick connect with a check valve or another shut-off. All are very achievable.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Looking at my manual I see 3 wires from the generator (brown D-, green DF and red D+). They have 1.0, 1.0, and 6.0 listed. Is that the gauge or amperage or what? The diagram is nicely colored but some parts of it aren't really explained.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Those sizes are Metric mm. To convert to outmoded gage sizes:

You'll have to round up/down. BTW, that diagram is for Gennie, not Alternator. Your Alt will have a monster B+ terminal (wire sized for 65 Amps) and a D+ terminal, which can be any small wire, like 16 Ga.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Oh, 6.0mm area. Okay, that makes sense. At first I was like, nope, that wire ain't 6mm thick. :)

My 1970 bug has a generator. That's why I have that manual. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

That would be 6mm²..

J.