How much current does a 6V starter motor pull?

Anyone know what sort of current a 6V starter motor draws?

Considering putting in a push-button starter and need to know approx. how beefy it needs to be.

Ta.

Reply to
Dangermouse

The starter motor draws *hundreds* of Amps.

Fortunately, your push button only has to carry the solenoid winding current. Even so, on a 6V starter, the initial current draw for the solenoid is 35 to 40 Amps!

You won't need a button rated for the full draw since the solenoid Amps drop off quickly as the plunger seats (it has 2 windings). But you still need a switch which won't overheat/burn up on the first push.

One with an actual rating of 15 or 20 Amps should do the trick.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be light-duty and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

BwhaHaHaHa!

Reply to
Speedy Jim

LOL....thank you James........ was just funny...folks SO quick to yell relay, that it assumed that the ignition switch has gone bad...was never even said........ anyone need a box of 009's?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

GRRR.

BOO. HISS.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Yeah it is funny.

Last weekend I had to replace the starter on my Ford POS... and it does have a relay on the fire wall, came that way from the factory... but after the 14 years the original starter gave up the ghost...

Reply to
dragenwagen

Hmmnnn. You just don't get it, do you? O, well, guess there are newbies in every forum.

Reply to
Papa

Wife's 66 Mustang has a starter relay.

When trying to get the engine started for the first time after a decade of sitting, the starter relay shorted, melted, and kept the starter going until I disconnected the battery cable.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

the newbs always show up...usually those that don't have the capacity to properly post, are very suspect.... there are some newbs here...i see you are one of them..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani