Distributor problem

Good morning folks. Thursday my poor abused 74 bug had a rough time making it home from work. Idle was fine, accelerating seemed ok however steady speed driving (any gear, any speed) and she would sputter and cough constantly. Friday morning I checked my gap and timing, they were ok. Took the carb off and did a quick cleaning. A short test drive around the neighborhood and things seemed back to normal. However, a short while later on my drive to work I remembered I had forgotten to connect the vacuum hose from the distributor back to the carb. I pull over over and connect the hose real quick and ... ARRRGGHHH same issues as I had before. Worse actually because no acceleration seems much more crappy. I yanked the vacuum hose off and continue to work. Without the hose connected the car drives OK. It feels like it is a a little off on the timing is all. I appreciate any and all suggestions on how to correct this. Thank you in advance. (yes the pun is intentional.... distributor... advance... oooh, nevermind)

Reply to
S R

Reading through a bunch of distributor threads (and Rob and Dave's discussions at

I noticed oilingthe distributor was mentioned a number of times. Raking my brain Icould not remember the last time I put oil in there! A few drops ofMarvels Mystery Oil down the shaft (and a few in the bottom of thedistributor because I had too much coffee this morning and my handshad a bit of a shake) and lo and behold my problem has magicallydisappeared! Who would have thought that a 37 year old moving partwould need lubrication every now and then?

Reply to
S R