DIY anti theft advice

I am trying to work out the best way to easily immobilise my type 2. I would like to have a hidden switch inside the van probably at the back somewhere that immobilises the ignition and turns on an flashing LED on the dash. I think its best if it is still possible to turn the engine over with the key or if hotwired so that the thief thinks they are getting it started but of course it won't. I don't want to have to get into the engine bay each time and remove the rotor arm or other wire as I know I just won't do it every time.

I have heard that you can put a switch in the (-) low tension lead to from the coil to the distributor but that would be easy to find as it would be a long wire where there should be a short one. I have also hear that an extra wire from one side of the coil allows you to ground out the coil which has the same effect of immobilising the ignition. I could do an electronic fuel cut off but they cost about =A350 so I would like to explore cheaper options first.

Does anyone know any more about doing this? Apart from the coil getting very hot if the ignition is left on - are there any dangers in doing this? I have a Pertronix Ignitor instead of points.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Bluedc

Speedy Jim can really help us here.

Hiding a kill-switch is the difficult part.

There is a switch on the transmission that closes when it is shifted into reverse. It is intended to turn on the backup lights, then turn them off when you shift out of reverse.

If you could set it up so that shifting into reverse was necessary to start the car, that might be the trick.

Jim? Any idea how that could be done?

Reply to
John Stafford

I reckon I can hide the switch, it may also have a cover that matches the rest of the interior so you would have to be very quick to find it.

Reply to
Bluedc

If you run a tachometer, you already have a good source to ground the coil to kill the ignition.... put a pinswitch behind the ashtray so when the ashtray is pushed it it grounds the coil.... this will keep the ignition from actually firing until you pull the ashtray out enough to break the ground connection at the pinswitch.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I LIKE that idea! Very cool!

Reply to
John Stafford

Sorry to be a bit slow here but

Before I start can can someone confirm that I have got this right. To ground the coil I simply need an wire with a switch in it from the (-) on the coil to a ground?

Are there any dangers in this - starting a fire or damaging any parts of the ignition system?

With the ashtray trick or any other position for a switch - you need to make sure that there is no chance that it will be operated accidently.

Reply to
Bluedc

Yes, that's correct- ground the (-) side of coil.

Note that there may be considerable voltage on that wire, maybe 50 to 100 volt spikes. The wire needs to have excellent insulation to avoid breakdown and resulting poor spark, especially when damp. Careful to avoid kinks in the wire or abrasion.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've done the ashtray pin switch for many years now, with no problems. I have it hooked up to my electric fuel pump, and I have personally started the car, warmed it up, pulled out of the garage, and... run out of gas in our driveway. I haven't done that in a while, but I have done it...

Reply to
kaferdave

On a T3 I had I installed a microswitch( inside the rubber boot) activated by one of the heater levers between the seats. Because the switch has normally open or closed contacts you can have lever down or up to enable starter. John

Reply to
John

Reply to
griff

One note also is that this kind of kill switch is very simple to disable. Somehow cutting off the +-voltage coming from the ignition switch to the coil +-side would be more difficult to disable or troubleshoot by the thief.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

not really, it's not uncommon to "hotwire" the ignition system straight from the engine compartment, but it's rare to mess with the negative side of the coil... one thing for sure, unless they want your particular vehicle, a hiccup like it not starting is enough to send them on to an easier target....they usually don't take the time to troubleshoot anything, to risky...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani