Could anyone help me with Smiths Tachometer wiring for Mini 1000?

I have 1976 Mini 1000. My father gave me old Smiths Tachometer for my car but he doesn't know how to wire it. I have wires for it but no clue how to connect it.
Front View
http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a87628/smiths-front.jpg
Back View (white wire with black end & red end)
http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a87628/smiths-back.jpg
Wire (Red, Black, Green)
http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a87628/smiths-wire.jpg
Thank you. Ichiro
Ichiro, Try http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_electrical.htm
Hope this helps
Martin

The link, http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_electrical.htm provided by Martin is fine but isn't to clear unless you have at least a basic knowledge of car electrics.
The 2 basic rules you need to know are....
1. the white lead (with red & black ends) can go anywhere in your ignition circuit, just cut the lead & reconnect with the white lead, keeping the red end towards the positive of the battery. (no damage done if this is done wrong)
2. connect power to the tacho via the ignition switch (so you don't drain power when off) keeping careful attention to polarity. (damage 'can' be done if this is wrong)
The lead you provide a picture of I don't think has anything to do with the tacho

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
Thank you both very much for the info. However, I am confused ... Should I connected tacho to coil terminal or not? Terminal located at the back says -6v / + / -12V.
So far my understanding of this is -6V (Ignore)(red capped terminal on my photo) + (Connect to Ignition coil terminal SW) -12V (Connect to Chassis)
Plus your info. white/black & red end (ignition circuit)
I am still not sure which Terminal #1, 3, 4, 5, 6 referring to.
Thanks again for any help. Ichiro
Stan Blazejewski wrote:

That is correct 'if' your car is negative earth, make sure of that. (check which battery terminal is connected direct to the chassis) but I would connect the '+' to the fuse block (switched fuse) rather than at the coil.

The simplest connection would be to disconnect the lead from the ignition switch at the coil & connect the white lead (red end) to that wire & connect white lead (black end) to the coil ... this assumes negative earth setup otherwise reverse the red/black.
It could be done with a lot less wire but would require an understanding of auto electrics ..... not easily explained.
Make sure you use a good heavy gauge wire for your ignition circuit if you need to extend anything.

You've lost me there, I made no reference to any terminals.

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
Thank you. I'll give it a try. Terminal number I was referring to was the number shown on the fitting instruction which Martin posted the link. Ichiro

It's not working somehow.
I don't know if it's broken or I am not doing properly.
+12V connected to Coil positive side(39)in diagram. -12V connected to Chassis
http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a87628/wiring-diagram.jpg
White lead connected between Ignition Switch(38) & Coil (39) WU & W wire ---didn't work. (this connect to same place as +12V, coil positive side)
I tried between Coil (39) & Distributor (40) WB wire in diagram. ---didn't work. Where do I supposed to put white lead? Thank you. Ichiro

OK, going by your diagram, '+' on your tacho should connect to the fuse (19 next to 150), the -12 will go to chassis. Because of the resistors (either side 164), the coil is not a place to derive power for the tacho.
The white wire on the tacho can go either in the 'W' lead (164) white the black end towards the coil (39),(prefered option) or in the 'WB' lead (between 39 & 40) with the black end towards 40. In both cases, the 'W' or 'WB' leads are disconnected or cut and then reconnected via the white lead from the tacho.

Not quite right, any connections must be made after the little box above the fuse (19 next to 150).

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
Just wondering if this problem ever got fixed?

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au