Dune buggy won't run right warm

This used to be dune buggy won't run warm... Until Speedy Jim alerted me to some major manifold leaks. I've fixed those and now the engine starts right away and idles nicely. I take it for a spin and it's great until the choke goes off completely. Then the acceleration is poor, power is lacking and the idle is uneven and I get little backfires on occassion. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the manifold ends and junctions with no change in idle. I'm not 100% sure how to time this thing but the problem persists at various timing settings and with another distributor (I'm using a 009 and tried a stock 69 t2 diz as well.) Feels like a carb problem to me. I have another carb that used to work but when I tried it out today it just dribbles gas continuously down the throat so it has obviously developed a problem and won't tell me anything.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Will Sheppard

Did it EVER run right?

Sounds like it's running too lean.

It's possible that the prolonged lean condition caused the valves to burn, and they no longer seal properly.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It did used to run properly, a least the way I remember it. It was non- running when I bought it but i got it going and I've just driven it around the block and in and out of the garage over the past few years while I did other things. How can I check to see if the valves are sealing?

Reply to
Will Sheppard

Fuel Filter, or bad gas?

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

I'll change the filter just to make sure but in my T3 when it's geting clogged I experience a faltering under load hat feels different than this.

I just checked my compression and I'm happy to say that I got an even 120 in all 4 cylinders! (Well maybe 119 in #3) Good news I'd say but what are the ramifications in regards to my crummy idle? Am I correct to assume that the valves are doing their job? All 4 plugs were 'sooty' and black, not super oily, more like creosote that came off easily with the wire brush.

So again, once the choke is off the idle is not smooth and I get an occassional backfire (more like a 'pop'). Acceleration is poor at this point (but pretty good when the choke is on.) The problem persists with various timing settings and two different distributors. I'm not getting any obvious signs of vacuum leaks, no noticeable change in idle when I spray carb cleaner anywhere and if I put my hand over the carb throat it is sucked into place just like putting your hand over the business ned of a vacuum cleaner. Once my hand seats the engine dies. Compression is

120 all around.

I've got to move on the first and I qwant this thing to drive to it's new home!

Reply to
Will Sheppard

I had almost the same exact problem with my bug and it ended up being a clogged jet. I would recommend rebuilding the carb preferrably by soaking the disassembled carb in a gallon can of parts cleaner you can get at any auto store. No matter what I tried tweaking on the carb or dist I couldn't get it to idle once the choke was open past halfway, it just died. Hope this helps.....

Mac

Reply to
Mac