Effect of louvered deck lid?

Hi,

This follows on from my last question, I wondered what effect louvered deck lids have on engine temperature? Is it designed just for hot climates like Texas, Australia etc? I notice that allegedly hotter running twin port 'super beetles' all have louvered lids and the cabriolets have to have them.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

The stock 1600 engine needs these vents, or at least that's what the factory found out when they started building lids with vents on them.

So any street engine "hotter" (heh heh) than stock would need them also, or another means of increased cooling air volume to the engine bay.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Where did you find out the factory information Jan, I'm interested in why they went down this route instead of making the existing vents bigger.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

I "discovered" this by realizing that most 1500 and all 1600 engine bugs had vented decklids from the factory. They didn't punch holes on the decklid for no reason.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

There has been vents from year -71 on also in 1300cc lids. The 1200 cc model lids were still without vents later in the -70's.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

There's more too!..............if you take a 1600DP and stick it in the space of the say.....'68 or so with no louvers at all, and install large intakes and carbs,.....................you will also starve the engine of much needed intake air, this will cause a different issue altogether and is ONEof the biggest reasons all of those engine cover standoffs were invented...............either way, if your engine gets enough air for intake, you will not have sufficient air for cooling, thus cavitating the cooling fan for the most part, or..............if you use all the air for cooling, then your engine will die every so often just from air starvation, and your plugs will foul with a large fuel to air ratio...........................kinda flooding...............in fact, I'll say it this way,............outright flooding!

This is most of the issue anyway, between both cooling and breathing.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I think Jan mentioned the number one reason and that was to increase the volume of cool air available to the fan. The more cool air available, the better for keeping the heads and cylinders cool.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik