EMPI ignition update

We had a beautiful sunny day here in Portland, Or. Something that we don't often see in November and I took advantage of it and installed the ignition kit. It was a simple and straight forward installation and the only hitch was I found one of the advance can screws was too long and was binding the vacuum advance. A small washer fixed that and I proceeded on with the install.

I had spark so I figured I try to start the engine to see if it would run so I could put a timing light on it. Not only did it run, it ran great. By ear, I would say she's right in time...

Now for the problem... While warming it up so it would idle, one of the oil lines to the full flow conversion blew. I shut it off as soon as I saw the smoke and it turns out I must have disturbed the wiring ties keeping the lines off the header and one of the lines burnt through. fortunately she never lost oil pressure and all I have to do is replace the lines and clean up the mess. Am I ever glad this didn't happen on the freeway.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

... and all I have to do is replace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Cat litter is good for cleaning up oil spills.

You might want to get some stainless steel hoses for your full flow set up. They won't break as easily. I hope your full flow set up is not one of those adapters with 2 fittings on the oil pump. You may need a thinner weight oil in cold weather so it won't become thick, cause high oil pressure, and blow out your oil hoses, oil cooler, or main seal.

Gene Berg told me to use 10 W30 when I talked to him once on the phone. He said not to use 20 W50 unless the engine is completely worn out.

I was thinking of using 30HD with Marvel Mystery Oil. The directions on the MMO bottle said to use 4 oz. for each quart of oil. This keeps the oil from congealing or from becoming thick in cold weather. I thought it might sort of turn the 30HD into a 20HD weight of oil. Bob Hoover told me to try a 20HD oil fror Winter, but I could not find it and the F.L.A.P.S.

Reply to
Jim347a

Correction. This should read, "I could not find it at the F.L.A.P.S."

Reply to
Jim347a

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's OK but when I have a real mess, I go for real grease sweep.

I might down the road but I'm kinda broke right now. I did install those expensive high pressure hose clamps that don't cut into the hose.

I blew a wad building this engine. Dan Hall's machine shop in Portland, OR did the conversion. I also had it balanced and blueprinted at the same time.

It doesn't get blow freezing very often here in the Willamette valley so I'm not going to switch from 20-50 to a lighter oil. I think the oil pressure suffers too much with 10-30. I was a motorcycle mechanic for almost 20 years and I'll agree to disagree with Berg. I'm not one of those follower of St. Berg...

I would only use that for freeing a stuck engine. There's no way in hell I'd put it in one of my cars or bikes.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Sorry, I did not mean to give you any bad advice.

Maybe Rob and Dave can be of some help at this link:

Jim347a