Flowing carb

RAMVA.. Got a 1 yr old Bocar carb, New engine was running great. Started dying at idle. Found that carb is pouring gas in and flooding engine after shut off. or stalling. Is it the float needle valve? Gas is just pouring in Eric

Reply to
Stutzsr

Yes, most likely the needle valve. First check that it is screwed in tightly.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy Jim. It was tight but there was dirt in the bowl. I cleaned it out along with the float valve and its running great again. Eric 68 Bug cab 62 Ghia cab

Reply to
Stutzsr

Eric, I am having similar problems. I know what I need to do: remove the carb and clean it up.

Out of curiosity, how dirty was your bowl? Did you actually disassemble the carb and look at it? Or did you just dump the gas out through the drain plug and examine the gas? I just drained mine over the weekend. The fuel was murky, and had lot's of shiny filiments in it (very small, but contaminated none the less). I think I need to replace my fuel filter, as well as move it (or add a second filter) to the front of the car under the tank.

How hard is it to get that float valve out? Did that require removing the carb? Just trying to see if this is an evening job, or a weekender. :-)

Thanks Eric, and Jim!

-Ray

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

Ray I just took the top of the carb off, Be careful you dont drop any screws down the carb throat. Stuff a rag in there. If you are lucky the gasket wont tear. You must lift the far end to accrss the little plastic collar that holds the float pivot bar in the slot. Just take it up with a tweeezer and pull the float up. I cleaned the float and bar etc. I used a plastic syrine to suck the gas out and the dirt. It acted like a vacuum pump in a pool. I then used Q tips to mop it alkll up and air to blow it out. I took the needle valve assembly out of the carb top and cleaned that up as well. Dirt allows the fuel pump to keep pouring gas out through the vent pipe into the carb flooding you out. The dirt must have come from the fuel pump I transferred over from another engine with a gifferent filter set up. I put the filter under the car. I hag it on the pressure side between the pump and carb. Reassemble.and should run great. Usually dirt is the culprit. Eric 62 Ghia cab 68 Bug cab

Reply to
Stutzsr

Easier and more effective to remove the carb from the engine , buy a rebuild kit,($10-15) . This way you can clean all the parts and air galleries with a good carb cleaner, replace old gaskets and not drop errant srews down your carb! VWs have the simplest carbs to remove and disassemble. Fred67bug

Reply to
Vw67lives

I noticed that those kits are pretty cheap! I'm going to order one and rebuild that carb. It looks like the float needle valve actually comes with the kits. Is that so? If it is included, thats $15 well spent.

-Ray

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

Mine was a one year old new one. Hence no rebuild....just dirt. I got away with not pulling it...guess I'm lazy hahaha...Eric

Reply to
Stutzsr