found my engine problem

I split the case today and found out why the motor was pushing air out of the carb instead of sucking it in. Somehow The cam was off about 40 deg. I know, at least I thought that, my friend and I checked that damn thing when we assembled it but we missed it somehow. It was strange that even though it was not in the correct position I still could adjust the valves in the correct sequence. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
george taylor

Sorry for ear that. Now you have to star over again. Usually on the second time we are more confidence on what we are doing. Sometimes we have to learn with our mistakes and there is no way to run out of that. I sure that will never forget to check the cam again. Sometimes the main issue is to find the cause of the problem. The worse thing that people can do is trying to fix a problem when they don't know the cause. Usual they mess with everything and create new problems. Good luck. Joao

Joao Eliseu

If you assembled it following the instructions in "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine" by Tom Wilson, that's where you went wrong! I found nothing else in the book that was bad, but the sequence on loading the crank and timing the crank / cam is just plain WRONG! When I read your post it just all came back to me! Use common sense to double-check your work. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Back when I had high hopes of rebuilding the Wonderbus's engine, before I found out what a piece of cr@p it was, I recall that you told me also that this portion of the book was wrong.

Reply to