Front end help/advice neded

As I have mentioned here before, I have a chopped and lowered 66 bug. It is on a 67 pan with a swing axle rearend. I had a new front end built with 2" lowered spindles and those adjustable thingies put in. It wears out tires like you wouldn't believe! I took it to a shop and he did what he could to correct any alignment and camber/toe in etc problems. It drives straight as an arrow and did before he worked on it. It wears out the inside diameter of the tires. He suggested I undo or back off the adjusters as much as I could and that might help. I did. Well after all of this, and it being spring time here in Texas, I took the car to my first show of the year yesterday.On the way I ran over a seam in the pavement and heard a very loud bang! I knew something on the front end had made contact with the road. My son and I continuse on to the show ,now being even more watchful for this type of road hazard. We made it there and back with no more impacts. Upon our return home I got a flash light and looked under the front end to see what had hit the road. It was the bottom bolt on the beam adjusters. It is now bent back and un useable.

I remember an article in Hot VW's about putting in shims behind the beams to help correct alignment problems. Any of you remember what issue this was in?

I need a new front end with only the 2" dropped spindles. Anyone know a place I can order an assembled front end the way I want it? Houston Texas is slim pickins as far as that sort of thing goes.

Thanks! Mike West

Reply to
Mike West

The shims behind the beam is to correct caster, which affects tracking. If it wears on the inner side of the tires, you either have a toe-out problem or/and a Camber issue.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg