Fuel from tank on floor

Mid 60s type 1 engine I'm talking about; Will the fuel pump pull fuel from just a regular plastic tank on the floor? I'm waiting on the new tank, and wanted to tune the carb while I wait. The other day I put the fuel line in my plastic gas tank used for transporting gas (made sure it wasn't stuck to the bottom) and turned the motor over for serveral seconds. The line coming off the fuel pump did not have any fuel in it, so it didn't appear that the pump was pulling in any fuel. Is there some sort of air lock issue using this method? Does the line have to have fuel in it first, and not just stuck in a tank where the pump has to pull it in from an area below itself? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Gift

Yes, it will lift fuel a surprising height. BUT......the pump must be primed first. Load the inlet hose with fuel and hold the hose above the pump while turning the engine (by hand).

----------------------------------- Quick story about jury-rigged tanks:

It was a sub-zero wintry day in Cleveland and the wind was really howling. So bad that the Interstate was deserted, except for me in my '74 Beetle.

My fingers were frozen and teeth chattering, even though the car was going 55 MPH. Then it started to sputter and slow. I made it over to the berm, hoping that some Samaritan would stop and rescue me. Nada!

Then it dawned on me that the tank was half full and what probably happened was there was some water in the fuel which had frozen in the line. But I *did* have a plastic milk jug and some hose. Braving the howling winds, I siphoned gas out of the filler spout into the jug. Then I set the jug on the rear bumper and connected the hose to the pump inlet. VROOOM!!!!!

Those few items in the trunk may have saved my life that day...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:46:35 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

i have set a one gallon sized plastic can in the engine compartment beside the fanshroud before....not the safest, but got me home... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani