Gas in my oil

Just a quick sanity check guys. Just brought my 67 bug out after parking it a few months ago and found my oil level way too high? After draining it, I found it was mostly fuel!

I'm pretty sure it leaked out of my carb and down the manifold, but my concern is when this happened. I'm really hoping this happened after I parked it as it was on a slight uphill. If it happened before, I'm pretty sure I've damaged the engine. It ran great until I parked it.

I didn't really park it, my wife backed here BMW into it and I was too pissed to look at it for months.

I'm in the processing up pulling the carb apart and cleaning it up and will use an electric fuel pump I have to pressurize the float chamber while the carb is on the bench to see if it leaks.

Anyone seen this before? Any advice on what to look out for would be appreciated.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Parking facing uphill, especially if the engine was hot, can easily result in fuel siphoning out the brass vent tube.

A hot engine makes it more likely because the fuel can actually boil in the bowl as it soaks up heat. It percolates out the vent tube and then the float opens to admit even more......

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

A simple fix for that is to extend the vent as high into the air filter as possible. Also helps prevent flooding when off-roading.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Ooooooooo

Nice one!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It's one of the tips in Jeff Hibbard's book "How to build baja's and dune buggies". A great investment to anyone wanting to take a VW off-road.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Well had some real fun today. Pulled the carb ( Bronsol 30/31 POS!) and ran my electric fuel pump to the carb fuel input. Turned on the pump and fuel came spewing out the base past butterfly valve. Fuel was not coming out the upper vent? It was coming out of the lowest tube in the venturi chamber. Not sure what it's called, but it's a cast piece like the body and comes out to the center of the venturi and then bends downward at 90 deg.

I pulled the top of the body off and tried manually depressing the valve that the float is suppose to close and it shut off the incoming fuel? It seemed really sticky.

I'm going to pull all the valves and give the body a big enema and see if I can get it to work. Anybody have a link to a place with a diagram of this carb? I'd like to see what the internal circuit looks like.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sorry if this shows up more than once, it never shows that it sent.

Electric fuel pump? You really need one of these...

You'll want to set the pressure about as low as you can. These carbs do best with around 1 1/2 PSI of pressure. More than that and it'll flood.

Don't cheap out and buy the cheap regulators that have a big dial to turn, they're junk.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1