Help... Can't find air leak source in front brakes

Hi everyone,

I have a 70 bug, type I. I am having a terrible time getting the brakes working properly. All this week I have struggled with this and I am simply out of ideas now.

The problem I started with was very weak and soft brakes, (I assumed air in the lines). So I bleed the brakes, and the front brakes had continuous air bubbles in the discharge. So I replaced the M/C. During the disassembly I stripped the locking nuts on both the lines to the front wheels. Therefore I replaced these metal lines at the same time I replaced the M/C. I couldn't get the brake lights to work with the new M/C, so I bought new pressure switches, now the lights work ok. I continued to get air in the line at the left cylinder, so I assumed the cylinder was leaking. I replaced it.

I can get clean fluid from both back wheels with no air bubbles, I have checked the brake peddle clearance it has just a slight amount of play before making contact with the piston that actuates the M/C. I have some back pressure on the brake peddle when it is depressed, but I am certain that it is not "stiff enough". The peddle gets about half the way before I feel any significant resistance.

I was wondering what the bolt on the top of the master cylinder above the rear brake discharge point. I thought at first it was a bleed point for the M/C. I used it to "bleed the M/C then tightened it back down. I hope I didn't mess up the pistons by loosining this screw as they were actuating. When I disassembled the old M/C it seemed to separate the front half of the cylinder from the back half. I am confused about its purpose.

I have carefully examined from the M/C, to both front brake's, and can find no signs of leakage. I only have two rubber hoses (which are about 2 years old from the last time I went through all this. It cost me $600.00 in mechanic fees, and they only worked well for about 6 mo.), and the right wheel cylinder that have not been replaced yet. Oh, when the mechanac overhauled the system, he rotated the placement of the wheel cylinders from the top position, 90 degrees twards the rear of the wheel. I thought perhaps the cylinders were holding air in them because the bleeder was not at the very highest point. I have unbolted them from the wheel housing and clamped the pistons to prevent them from poping out during the bleeding procedure. I could then move the cylinder around to make sure any air trapped inside would come out. Should the cylinders be mounted at 12:00, or are they ok at

9:00 (left) & 3:00 (right)? or does this make any difference?

What could be letting air in the system without leaking oil when the system is under pressure? This makes no since to me. Did I get a bad M/C or wheel cylinder? I got both from Napa. The M/C is marked Made in the USA.

I hope this has not been too long winded but I wanted to describe the problem in detail.

This group has been invaluable to me these last 3 years. Thanks so much for your help again.

Reply to
Robert Rutler

I was going thru the same sort of drill with my 77 van till I looked a third time more closely at the pads in the front disk brake calipers. They were worn too much, and as soon as I replaced them the problems I was having - very similar to yours, all went away.

Reply to
Oldbie

I had a similar situation with my '70 Beetle. About 20 hours and 3 master cylinders later, it came down to something as simple as the shoes not being properly adjusted properly. I guess I was used to working on disc brakes and didn't remember the importance of correct adjustment for drum brakes. The wheel cylinders don't have enough travel in them to take up any amount of low adjustment slack. It took a while for the process to adjust and center the shoe properly before I achieved a good pedal. I had to adjust them to snug, pump the brakes, rotate the drums by hand a few rotations, and then readjust the shoes again, repeating this process about 5 or 6 times before they were centered and adjusted correctly. Once adjusted correctly the brakes were great. Hope this helps your problem .....

"Robert Rutler" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
JeffRens