Help. Could gas in the oil lower compression?

Ok let me explain the situation. I have a 74 Super Beetle. It was running great stock pulled hard etc. I decided to upgrade it a little bit by putting a hide away exhaust and dual Dellorto FRDs on. This is where my trouble started. I manged to get everything on but had a hell of a time with the dellortos. The engine ran really hot with them on and it smelled like it was flooding. I did nothing but test drive it a few times around the block but it always ran hot. And smelled like it was flooding. Then it became difficult to start and I would have to crank on it forever unlike before when it was stock it would fire right up. So I figured I must have done something wrong and decided to put the stock card back on figuring the hard starting was related to putting the dellortos on. So I put the stock carb back on but was still having trouble getting it to start. I checked the points, valves, timing etc. Put a new battery in, swapped the starter out with another one, still no luck. So finally I took it to a shop today to see if they could figure it out, they did a compression test and the compression was real low. So they retorqued the heads and adjusted the valves and checked it again. The reading was 60, 110,20,45. What would cause this. A month ago it was running great before I started to "upgrade" now it's hard starting and the compression sucks. The oil smells like gas. Could flooding the engine with the dellortos and washing down the cylinder make the compression drop? Could I have screwed the engine up just by doing test drives around the block? Should I even try to change the oil to see if the compression goes up? I don't have the $1200 they quoted me to fix it. HELP!!!!

Reply to
dcatts

By diluting the oil with gas, you took most of the lubricating properties away, causing the engine to run hotter, the rings/ cylinders and valve guides to wear more, lowering compression.

If you're lucky, all you need are new rings. Not lucky: new rings, cylinders, valve job, etc. Not to mention what it may have done to the main and rod bearings, cam, crankshaft, wrist pins, etc.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

So test driving it a few times while trying to get it dialed in could totally screw the engine up? That sucks. How do I tell what it's going to need? Is the $1200 they were going to charge me a reasonable price? Considering I might have just screwed myself by doing what was supposed to be simple bolt on modifications I'm a little wary of tearing everything apart myself now.

Anybody want to by a german look bug. I'm about ready to get a japanese car...that's how frustrated I am right now.

Reply to
dcatts

My neighbors 74 bus with the pancake motor had this problem (gas in oil). He would just change the oil and everything would be fine. You did change the oil right?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten

.................how much?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:35:10 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

and where? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not yet I haven't. By the time I got the car back from the mechanic yesterday it was getting dark. But that was going to be the first thing I tried today. That's why I asked the group, to see if there was any hope that that might work.

I have two bugs actually they are in the SF bay area. A '71 Super that is pretty much all stock and really nice looking and the (german look)

74 Super, the one the post was about. I love bugs but I'm sick of them always breaking down despite regular maintainence. I guess that's my fault for relying on them for my daily transport. I feel like everytime I put money into one of them to fix something something else breaks. Having two bugs was supposed to help with that--if one needs work drive the other. But my luck has been they always break down at the same time. I don't know how much I would charge for either of them but if anyone is interested email me for pics.

I'll try changing the oil today. But I don't have much hope at this point. Stay tuned.

-dan

Reply to
dcatts

Reply to
jimt

Well I changes the oil yesterday. Put in 2.5 quarts of SAE 30 weight oil. It started a little easier at first but then went back to having to crank and crank to get it to start. So I gave up and let it sit overnight.

Went out this morning thinking maybe the heads might be loose or one of the bolts stripped that would keep the heads from staying tight. Pulled off the driver side valve cover and about 1/2 quart of oil came gushing out. Granted the car was on a slight incline towards the driver side, but I've parked it like that before and never had oil gush out like that. I'm resigned to the fact the the engine is toast now even though it sounds ok when running and still does start. Unless anyone has any suggestions I'm ready to give up on it. Still can't believe putting dual carbs on and test driving it a few times has totally killed this engine. I should've left it alone I guess. Not to mention the money I wasted on buying the parts to do it.

So I figured I'd take a look at my other bug. Not much hope there either. Pulled the valve cover and the number 4 exhaust valve is stuck in. If I had the money I'd do a subaru conversion on both of them and be done with it. But I don't so now I have 2 cars that looks awesome but won't drive. To think of all the money I have put into restoring these cars. :(

dcatts

Reply to
dcatts

any kind of incline can end up with a lot of oil in the covers. you just need to trouble shoot the fuel in oil problem first.

1 check that fuel pump 2 check the floats and valves in the carbs

those are the > > I'll try changing the oil today. But I don't have much hope at this

Reply to
jimt

I've given up. Here is a link to pictures of the car and stuff I have to trade/sell.

-dcatts

Reply to
dcatts

I already swapped off the carbs, back to a stock carb. That is where the gas was coming from.

-dcatts

Reply to
dcatts