Please Help Me Identify This Air Cleaner

Can someone please tell me what year(s)and which Mustangs this air cleaner was found on?

If you have trouble viewing the picture, it's a dark blue, 2-snorkel air cleaner housing with a chrome lid and the phrase "5.0 Liter 4V H.O." cutout from a black sticker around the outermost ring. It also has the blue ford oval nut at the top instead of a wing-nut.

Is it 84-85 GT? Were all the 5.0's carbureted in these years? I've seen pictures of these cars with similar, but not identical-looking air cleaners (on some the lettering is on an inner ring, and on others, the lid looks taller). Is this the "460 style" dual-snorkel GT air cleaner?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! ~Mike

btw, if you happen to be looking for one of these, I'm going to put it on Ebay soon. Let me know and I can send you the item # when it's up.

Reply to
Mike

This part was stock equipment on '83-85 4-bbl carbureted GTs / Capri 5.0 models. In '84 and '85, automatic GTs were CFI injected and had a similar air cleaner - it looks like this:

Also note that I've never seen a blue one - all OEMs came black as far as I can remember like the picture above. Stock, they also came with a standard wing-nut and possibly a washer, not a Ford blue oval - that's a Pep Boys thing.

This is the "460-style dual snorkel" air cleaner.

Hope this helps.

JS

Reply to
JS

All the factory 83-85 Mustangs with the 5.0/ manual 5 speed transmission were carb'd (600 cfm). These all came from the factory with a black wrinckle finish on the housing and aluminum lids. 1982 Mustangs were also carb'd but were only 2BBL (369 cfm) and had a smaller air cleaner. The automatics had the same air cleaner but said EFI instead of the 4BBL as they were equiped with CFI. Someone repainted this one during its time and added the aftermarket Ford wing nut to it.

Hope this is helpful

Tim (Musttanguy)

Musttanguy

Thanks for the great information JS and Musttanguy! That's exactly what I was looking for.

~Mike

Musttanguy wrote:

Reply to
Mike