Higher Fuel consumption

Hello,

I have the following problem: after changing the paper aircleaner back to the oil aircleaner I got a higher fuel consumption with approx. 2 liter per 100 km. (From 8,8 l/100km to 11,5 l/100km). Volkswagen changed the aircleaner for the 1972 model. I have searched all available documentation for some hints about a change in the carburettor set-up (other jets e.g) but found no clue.

The car is a 1302 superbeetle from 1970 with an 1600 AD engine from early 1973. The carburettor is a standard PICT 34 -3.

I have checked valve-clearance, ignition timing and fuelpump already and everything is exactly set.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance,

Claus

Reply to
Beetlenut

The oil bath aircleaner is more restrictive, hence you need to go doen on your idle and main jet sizing...

J.

Reply to
BergRace