Installing flaps on 71 T2

Possible to install the cooling flaps without removing the engine?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Only if you can get the shroud of the engine in situ. Don't know if that's doable in a bus.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Dang.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Ilambert

You can get it up enough to get the alternator in and out - dunno about flaps - never tried. You can also do a lot of things by dropping the engine out and down a bit, without removing it completely from under the bus, which is always the hardest part on a later bus without the removeable back bit inside the bumper.

Reply to
Oldbie

I have a 68 Bus and I have replaced the thermostat rod on my bus without removing the engine but it was a huge pain in the ass. I had to remove the alternator, fan, accel cable and tube, carbureator, air cleaner and I think the alternator pedestal too. Was difficult to pull up and keep the shroud up without it scraping the oil cooler and possibly damaging it. You may just want to pop the engine out and service anything else you may need while you are in there too like checking the oil cooler, head and case nuts' torque, tranny seal etc. Good luck

Brett

Reply to
Brett

No.