Kadron mixture screw puzzle

So I'm reading around the right-hand carb on the Wonderbus, to perform the mixture adjustment per the procedure at

and I locate the mixture screw by hand. I put my handy screwdriver on the screw and turn it clockwise, waiting for the engine to stumble or want to die, as described in the procedure. A turn or two and the screw bottoms. It's tight. Feels all the way in. And the engine does not seem to care.

Odd. I back it out some, and notice that the screw is essentially loose

-- turn it with your fingertip loose. I was expecting some resistance to turning so it would not vibrate out of position.

This can't be right.

Now I don't know where to set it. Too loose and it will come apart. But if I tighten it down, even though the engine does not stumble, I wonder if I will have leaned the mixture sufficiently so that it might cause damage when I drive the kids to school tomorrow morning.

Feh.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

That sounds like a vacumn leak to me.. Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

I'm thinking my problem may be wrong jetting. Aircooled.net's article on synchronizing carbs says, "If you can not get the cylinder to lean misfire (miss), or can't STOP it from missing, there is an ignition or jetting problem that needs to be addressed before you synchronize your carburetors."

Don't let's forget that I got these dual Kadrons installed on my bus by VW Paradise in San Marcos, CA (USA) whose work has proven to be miserably bad, as I have discovered over the course of working on this engine.

And if my jets are oversized, that might go a way toward explaining my poor gas mileage.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

As someone else indicated, could be a vacuum leak, (don't laugh now) and/or small return/tension spring missing. Must admit my advice is general, as I don't have much experience with the Kadrons, but tons worth with other carbs...

If this is a fuel mixture screw it should have in the following order(starting from the outside): Screw(pointed if for fuel, (blunt if for air, then this advise is not relevant)). Spring, flat washer, o-ring.

The spring is there to keep the tension on the adjuster screw, the flat washer is there to seat against the o-ring, and the o-ring it self is there to seal of the adjuster screw... Easy; eh?

The spring, washer and o-ring is of tiny measures, very easy to miss when you remove the screw itselves, they are often caught inside the carb body, and lost when you use high pressure air to blow the orifices clean.

And, yes I had a drink tonight, so please don't bug me about the spelling...

Peace, joy and what ever you feel like. :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Pointy screw, check.

Spring, washer, o-ring . . . huh? No check. I added a spring to at least keep the darn thing from rattling loose. But it won't lean misfire even screwed all the way in which might be a jetting issue. Makes it kind of hard to adjust mixture . . . plugs are getting some soot buildup on 'em.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sorry for top posting.

Best I could do, the info is relevant for any other carb I have come across (a few..) Try John C. I know he is a busy man though... Even better Mr.Kadron, you already have a URL for him, look up his site, does he not carry a full exploded view of the Kadron carb?

Wish I could be of better help, can understand your frustration ..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:48:49 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" ran around screaming and yelling:

having a fairly new kadron set from AJ simms sitting right beside me i can tell you that the mixture screw does in fact have a spring(SHOULD), but there is no o-ring or washer as there are on other carbs.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks, Joey. I can tell, by touch, that the mixture screw on the left Kadron does have a spring on it. It's a stock carb with a stock throttle body. The right carb has a throttle body with modified vacuum port on it for advancing the SVDA dizzie. I know that it must have come w/o the spring, since I've not touched a mixture screw prior to this in my life. Looks like I'll quickly be learning a lot about mixture and jetting.

Bring it on.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:12:54 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" ran around screaming and yelling:

you have had an excellent attitude through all your dealings with your bus....congrats...glad you stuck with it....too many times someone will buy an old vw due to all the stories of no maintenance, "can't kill the things", "best car i ever had", yada, yada, yada....then they get discouraged and unload it on the first person interested in buying it....stick with it, it gets easier.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Like I've said before, if it wasn't for the help of youse guys I'd have given up simply because there was no one to ask questions of. Of course, getting lectured every so often by Bob Hoover doesn't hurt, either.

Mr. Kadron (A.J. Sims) sez he's got just the jets I need. I figure that those, plus a gasket kit, a cutting torch, a bending brake, an NC milling machine, a Strippit, some of that creosote you find on telephone poles, a bucket of 12-penny nails, a blintz, and some pointy tools from a dentist's office will see me well on my way to having a pair of properly-jetted carbs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Mike, It appears that you have incorrect idle (pilot air) adjustment screws. Looking at the spare set of Kads I have in front of me and remembering a long ago post about this screwdriver adjustment thing, you should have a long (2 1/2") adjustment screw with a black plastic knob on the top. This is finger adjustable. You should also have an anti vibration spring. If you want, E-mail me off NG and I will send you a digipic of what it should look like installed. Let's hope the needle seats aren't buggered up from what sounds like a lawnmower screws. BTW, A.J. Sims has the correct parts at:

El Paso Bob

71 1776 Baja w/good Kadrons w/ vac dizzy
Reply to
The Joneses

Thanks, El Paso Bob. The mixture adjustment screws on my Kadrons are exactly the same as the one pictured on A.J. Sims website at this address:

See the first picture. This is what I have.

If my mixture screw was 2-1/2 inches long the one on the left carb would be poking into the side of my doghouse.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Mike, are you shopping parts from TV-Shop?=20

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I shouldn't?