locktight on oil pump

I'm always upfor learning a better thec trick. what was it Gary was saying that Jake used lock tight on the back side of the oil pump? I'm in the middle of building a stock 1600 dp and if thers a reason to do something better then the gasket I would like to understand why.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

On 01 Sep 2004 04:22:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) scribbled this interesting note:

And I quote "...and screw in the new stud with a little medium strength loctite to hold it. Let the loctite dry and reassemble using proper gaskets and sealers and torquing to spec."

I believe he said to use loctite on the stud, not the pump. I also believe he said to use the proper gaskets and sealers and torque to specification.

At least that's what it looks like to me, but then again my reading comprehension may be impaired. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

John Willis

Loctite does have several products in their line that would work as sealants or gaskets, but in this case it does sound like the discussion was about the studs, not the pump body. Stud holes need to be degreased (brake cleaner works great( and dried, and a drop or two of loctite thread locking liquid used when inserting the new stud. Wipe off any excess.

To seal the pump body to the case, you shouldn't really need anything but clean straight surfaces and a good paper gasket. I glue the gasket to the pump, and then apply more sealant to the side of the paper that still doesnt have any. Very thin coat. Let cure for a while, then install while the case bolts around the pump hole are a bit loose. Drive the pump all the way in, then fit the gears (grease them) then the cover, and tighten with the nuts just a little. Then loosen the nuts again. Then tighten the case bolts/nuts around the pump hole so tha case sort of clamps around the pump. Then you can tighten the cover to spec. If you fitted a big pump and the studs were replaced with longer, now is a good time to cut the extruding part of the stud off once the nuts are tightened down. The top two studs have a tendency to interfere with the pulley tin and pulley. Very little space there.

Jan What's the difference between a northern fairytale and a southern fairytale? A northern fairytale starts out "Once upon a time..." A southern fairytale starts with "Ya'll ain't gonna believe this shit..."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Thanks Jan I built the engine today using the paper gasket and a very thin coat of aviation gasket seal will be installing it tomorrow and kicking it out the door by saturday. seems I'm stuck building atleast one engine a week for the next tree weeks and was tring to see if there was a better way.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys