Mayday! At work with GENERATOR LIGHT ON - 42 mi. drive home this evening!!!

Advice please. I am at work and don't have my manuals. I am having to wing it. I do have a few tools and my Ohm/Volt meter. I will have to drive home this evening for about a 55 minute drive.... on battery power maybe :( My daily driver bug is not feeling well!

Driving to work this morning (lights and radio on) I looked down after the first 40 minutes or so and saw the generator light on. I also started to smell that nice electrical insulation smell. (something overheating)

I pulled off the road and noted that everything was connected as it should be. The engine compartment wasn't particularly smelly. Note that I have the voltage regulator under the back seat.

THIS PAST WEEK I'd had to replace the generator (first tried just the regulator and am still using the NEW regulator) because the D+ wire had broken off right at the generator and had shorted against the generator frame. I don't know if exactly what that did, but my generator would no longer charge. I tried repolarizing the generator and, at higher revs, it did tend to cause the generator light to dim and flicker. I had come across an older, used generator so I cleaned it up, polarized it, and it worked great... at least in the driveway and for the first 40 minutes driving in to work.

I wondered whether a short in the electrical system could have caused the electrical system to overload (but I hadn't heard the characteristic whine that I've heard when there is a huge current draw like from a nearly dead battery) so RIGHT BEFORE IT STARTED TO RAIN REALLY HARD, I checked a few wires:

1) I disconnected the D+ and Df from the generator and checked for continuity to ground (looking for shorts). They were fine. 2) I pulled the main power cables one way or the other through the gromets around the engine and the back seat and felt no worn spots. 3) I disconnected the wire from the regulator to the headlight switch (main hot wire to the front) and pulled off the other end too. It showed no continuity to the frame. 4) I disconnected the two radio power leads, pulled all the fuses, and made sure the key was OFF. I then put the volt meter between the negative battery terminal and the ground cable and I got 13Vdc. There was not enough pf a current draw to cause a spark when I tapped the ground cable to the battery, but there seems to be a current leak SOMEWHERE. 5) I found one wire connector that MAY have been a hot wire that I'd taped off a year ago but was now exposed. (was a pigtail from another cable) Rather than determine whether it was a hot wire and whether it was somehow shorting in my trunk to some painted surface, I cut it off and taped the remaining stub. Doing this still didn't change anything.

6) The battery was warm. I had probably only driven less than a minute with the generator light on because I check my gauges, mirrors, etc quite frequently. The light is a nice bright red (new colored plastic in the speedo for the generator and oil lights).

With BOTH radio power leads disconnected, all fuses out, WHAT WOULD DRAW CURRENT on a '63/65 Beetle? OK, so searching for a short might be a red herring. The generator hadn't whined so there wasn't a huge draw on it. I had inspected the New regulator when I bought it (before installing it). "New" style. Crappy workmanship. The green wire looked to be streched too tightly around a semi-sharp corner so I unkinked it slightly to pull it away from the sharp edge and its insulation was cut into and, upon straightening slightly, I saw bright copper. I treated it with "liquid electrical tape" (which I've used on other kinds of wires) and so it should be OK. I left it bent so that it wouldn't rub against the sharp edge. There were two other wires on the regulator that I couldn't get enough slack to treat accordingly.

Thing is, I wonder what the odds are for this old Bosch generator to also have gone bad all by itself?

ANY practical suggestions would be appreciated. My battery is a new, GOOD Interstate battery, so I hope I will make it home without killing it... but would prefer to fix the problem first.

I will leave work early (before rush hour) and pray that it isn't raining TOO HARD so I can avoid using the wipers. Maybe if I stop part way to let the battery "catch up" that would help?

KWW

Reply to
KWW

Regulator sticking or Gen now polarized backwards maybe. You'd have to make some more measurements to know what's going on.

If were me, I'd be off to Cheap Joe's Auto Parts for a spare battery to get home on. Have them charge it up...

Speedy Jim

KWW wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I did polarize the generator correctly. I also ran it fine for the first

1/2 hr. If it had been reverse polarized wouldn't have had the light on immediately? Gee, would a new regulator stick like that?

I took out the first generator that I thought was fried and replaced it with this other used unit that I polarized myself. I am also running the new regulator (not that they couldn't die randomly, I'm sure.)

straightening

Reply to
KWW

I would be looking for a not quite tight wire on the gen, regulator and battery. And if you smelled electrical or wires melting, shouldn't be to tough to find. Just looked for the fried wires.

Randy

RSMEINER

I wasn't suggesting you polarized it wrong, rather that a stuck regulator could do it. It all just sounds far too involved to solve in the company parking lot... Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I hear you! I drove 15 miles home, but when the rain started coming down so hard one could barely see on the expressway... and I didn't have my lights on... and the traffic was getting VERY HEAVY... I stopped at the local University where my eldest son is and took his car. They were nice enough to give me a two day temporary permit. It was especially timely since he'd just run over a curb because he was intimidated by a car behind him (while he was turning). Fortunately, his car was OK.

NOW to charge it up tomorrow afternoon and try to get home (in better weather). THEN find the problem!

Reply to
KWW

Well, since it is a total of 42 mi from work to the house... and I only had about 15 done, I brought a battery from one of our Hondas. That should get me the rest of the way without killing my good Bug battery! I believe I will perform the following checks:

1) check all major wires for shorts, again, 2) try putting back the old regulator and seeing if it works, 3) repolarize the (new) generator and see if it outputs power, (maybe without the regulator)
Reply to
KWW
4) pull my hair out, scream, and get high blood pressure

---Sounds like a good plan to me....

but you forgot #5...

5) Do a raindance, sacrifice a lamb and drink the blood under the light of a new moon!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

My gen/alt light was coming on intermittently and I replaced the alt since the battery only had 12V... turns out that the green exciter wire was causing it not to charge (DONT ASK ME HOW!) i disconnected that and it worked fine... now my car is a freak to be working broken.... but my point is I guess to make sure your wires are all working properly! I wasted $100 on something that wasn't broken! I broke it to fix it! Still have to figure out how it works like that :-/ but drove it over 250 miles that way

Reply to
VWGirl

Thanks, I will check them.

I left my windows open 1" each to hopefully dry out the water that had accumulated on the floor in the torrential downpour but then we had another hard rain... discouraging when the inside is too wet to let things fall on the floor!

Reply to
KWW

First thing I always did when buying yet another used car as a youngster was to take a hammer and a sharp, stout nail and punch a drain hole at a low spot on the floor pan, under the carpeting. Kept the floors amazingly dry, and even though there was then a rough hole, it reduced the rusting-out damage considerably. Simple problem - simple solution. If you wanted to get fancy you could drill it and paint it, and put something on the bottom to protect it from mud & slush splashing.

Reply to
Oldbie

take a hammer and a

the carpeting. Kept

reduced the rusting-out

fancy you could drill

splashing.

Or, you could fix the PROBLEM, which has a solution just as simple, but doesn't involve mutilating the car. It also results in actually keeping the interior dry.

Hint: Where does the water go that drips down into your sunroof opening or fresh air vents. (I don't know which you had, but the causes and solutions are similar.)

-

Jim Adney

One of the main sources for water in the vehicles was accumulating snowmelt from boots when driving in winter. What would you suggest is the correct fix for that, JIM - leaving the boots outside the door, hahaha?

Reply to
Oldbie

Actually, in my bug it comes UP out of the hole on top of the heater channel by the "A" pillar... basically it appears that they drain hole at the bottom of the A pillar is plugged on the passenger side.

Reply to
KWW

If you can't find the leak using Jim's advice, try pumping some of that clear silicone from a cartridge underneath the outside lip of your windshield rubber seal or the side window rubbers. Besides stopping leaks, if you can get rid of the air spaces in there you'll prevent the window frames from rusting out as well as chase away the leaks. It is NOT easy to do a good job of this, but any mess you make is usually easy enough to clean up.

Reply to
Oldbie

from boots when driving

the boots outside the

Do what I did for 30 years: Sit down sideways in the seat with your feet still outside. "Clap" your feet together several times to knock the snow off. Then pivot your feet into the car without putting them back in the snow.

It's quite effective.

-

Jim Adney

..................I do that.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

snowmelt from boots when driving

leaving the boots outside the

Standard procedure in Scandinavia...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

"There's No Place Like Home,.......There's No PLace Like Home........."

Oops...............I thought this was alt.wizards.oz...............

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®