Which Carb?

Last summer, my '68 Westy and I had a trouble-free, 10,000 mile round trip from Mississippi to Vancouver Island (the very long way). Before leaving, I had an intermittent problem that I thought was electrical in nature. The problem is back, and I now suspect the carb or fuel supply. If the carb needs replacement, which carb should I consider? I have a recently rebuilt single port 1600 that currently sports a PICT 30 with electric choke. My hot buttons are dependability, low maintenance, power, and fuel economy, in that order. Any thoughts?

-- Mark Guest Mark at MarkGuest.net

Mark Guest

Can you give a full description of the intermittent problem and what you have checked?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hi Speedy,

When the van warms up it now regularly stalls, though I can sometimes keep it going by goosing the gas pedal. Even when I keep it running by the aforementioned goosing, the engine has about 20% of its normal power available. By turning the carb's bypass screw counterclockwise, I can keep it running longer, but when I reset the idle using the same screw, the problem returns. If I had a VW shop nearby, I'd bring it in.

Thanks,

Reply to
Mark Guest

Make sure the idle solenoid is screwed in tightly and that the wire connector(s) are tight and clean.

When it's losing power, will it still run at max hiway speed? Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi Jim,

I'll check the solenoid shortly. No way will the van come close to hwy speed when it's missing. I would be doing well to get it to 30 mph.

Reply to
Mark Guest

Solenoid is tight & clean.

Reply to
Mark Guest

Lack of hiway speed leads me to think of fuel starvation or else spark advance problems.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had a problem like this years ago on my bug, it turned out to be two plug wires reversed. It would run, but had no power, and would only idle at over

1500 rpm. Didn't backfire at all.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem your having, but its worth a shot to check the firing order.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Thanks for your suggestions. Seems to be fine since I replaced the coil. Doh!

Reply to
Mark Guest