my '66 is back!!

GLJ is finally back from repair, looking as good as new

the wing is a repro from VW Heritage (UK)... but a very good one, the fit and quality is spot on. I tried to get a NOS one, but it was almost impossible, and far too expensive (over UK£900 for a pair)

the front quarter was carefully panel beaten back into shape, and even from the inside of the quarter (which is still original paint) it is hard to tell it was ever bent

orange spot is temporary until I find a clear one, but at least it is the correct type (Wipac 470)

I have to T-Cut and polish the rest of the car now to match the shine!!!

I am really very happy now :D :D :D

For those of you who missed the before...

Howard Rose

You have all reason to be -- very nice!

Reply to
Remco

Beautiful, Baby!

-Kevin, kindadrunk, back from a midnight showing of swingers at the cheap theater

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Lookin good Howie !!

Apart from lookin good , I bet its good to be drivin it again !!!

Now what is that in the garage ???

Rich

Howard Rose wrote:

Reply to
tricky

The beetle look?s very good.

It's is a mini... too small to be driven on US :-) I droved one for a couple of years (850), my wife also had one (1000) and it was also my fathers first car in 1960 (850).

PS: 850 and 1000 are the cc of the engine

Joao

Joao Eliseu

We got a 1972 mini 850.

I didnt recognise the bumpers in Howards photo... they are different to most mini bumpers. (And I can only see the bumpers shining in the darkness in my screen )

Rich

Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
tricky

I do think that is a mini but I'm not 100% sure I thougt that there were not 850 in 1972 but 1000, 1250GT and 1300 Couper

Joao

Joao Eliseu

This is a 72 850. The gear stick goes through the front fire wall not down through the floor.

My 1st car was a 72 Mini Clubman 1000 :-)

Rich

Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
tricky

It is nice to change the gears with the stick that goes through the front fire. We have to move it up and down. If the car is on reverse, you can not pull the passenger seat to get out from the back seat.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Not quite, although it is a product of BMC!

It's actually a 1962 MGA MKII, my Dad's car... he's owned it for just over 20 years now and restored it between 1983-86. It's nice for the

4 days of sunshine we actually get over here :-)

The Mini lives under a sheet in the garden :-P

Reply to
Howard Rose

It certainly is!! No driving an aircooled since March, it's torture!

Reply to
Howard Rose

The 850 lasted until about 1980, although most people went for the

1000 which was the most popular.

If you wanted anything quicker, you either went for the 1275GT (Clubman) or the MK3 Cooper S. However, the Cooper was discontinuted in the early '70s.

My sister drives a 1994/5 Mini Tahiti (special edition). I've just rebuilt the front discs on it. That is one of the last carb 1275 and is good fun to drive :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

I'm in the US and there's a guy that works at our local Pizza Hut restaurant that has three different Minis that he delivers pizzas with. He has a regular(?) Mini, a Countryman and a convertible.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

It is a VERY, VERY, nice car. By that time, the English Automotive Industry was on the top. I friend of mine has a 1972 MGB

Joao

Joao Eliseu