Nasty looking intake manifold!!

I am replacing the carb on the wife's 78 superbeetle vert and I noticed that the interior of the intake manifold looks rather...... shall we say.. Unclean :(

It looks a little rusty (strange since it looks to be made of aluminum???) and looks as if the paint on the interior is chipping off.

Is this normal? I dont see any loose debris or obvious trash, but I am concerned that this may affect performance or engine life somwhat.

Anybody seen something similar? Should I be overly concerned?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
fenderjw

I'm not entirely sure which parts you mean, but I think some of the intake manifold is steel. Intakes do tend to get gunked up over time, especially if the engine has functioning EGR and PCV. It can be a problem if it get severe enough, but you're probably not close to that yet. Could be affecting performance to a certain degree.

Wouldn't hurt to clean it out and give it a fresh coat of paint, some rainy weekend.

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Thanks for the info Harry. I was talking about the portion of the intake manifold just under the carb. I spoke too soon about it being made of aluminum. It is simply steel painted "aluminum grey". I'll give her a good cleaning before I reassemble the carb/alternator/fan- shroud. Thanks again for your advice.

Jim

Reply to
fenderjw

Update! Removed the intake manifold under the carb and WOW! Tons of rust, metal flakes the size of a quarter, and other crap had accumulated there. I've cleaned all the major stuff out, but how should i clean out an/or refurbish the inside of the manifold? Maybe its not worth it and I should install another manifold altogether???

Jim

Reply to
fenderjw

Run a round wire brush thru it?

As for the possible vacuum leak at the unused port, smear a bit of silicone (RTV) on the opening.

BTW, when you re-install the end castings, use gasket sealant on the gaskets or else you will have mysterious mis-fire problems.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim Are you suggesting that I use gasket sealant on the metal gaskets at the end casting - intake port or between the end castings and the center part of the intake manifold (where the rubber addapters are)?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
fenderjw

Jim, I think he is talking about the ones between manifold and end castings. The others are crush seals and should not have any kind of sealant.

Anton

Reply to
anton

On the metal gasket (or even on the newer soft gaskets available today. You cannot trust the gasket to seal properly.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

No, I'm talking about the "crush" gaskets.

Yes, they worked fine at the factory when everything was spanking new and flat and in perfect alignment. When you are working with old parts which are difficult to return to "factory fresh" condition, you have to make allowances.

I've heard far too many agonized stories from others about engines that wouldn't idle properly due solely to very tiny vacuum leaks at those gasket connections.

BTDT, Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim