Need Advice-Type 1 Window Rubber Task

Hey all--

The RH door of my '62 Beetle is empty of all mechanisms; I want to reinstall all new rubber. The components around the window, door seal, etc-all easy--my question is about the window glass and the piece that is secured at the bottom with a U-shaped clamp--can this be pried off and the rubber replaced-? Existing rubber is no bueno.

AND---consensus on the best / most reasonable vendor for good, OEM rubber (especially, all components necessary for window and vent wing)--

Thanks--

Buzz

'62 RHD Type 1

Reply to
Bill Walraven

James, The rubber piece that holds the window in it's lifting channel, is not necessary to change, as long as it is holding the galss well.

I can see changing it IF the rubber is so deteriorated that the window just falls loose from the channel.

It is very possible to remove the glass without damaging it. If you will "pad" the glass with a piece of wood that is biased in such a way, not to be split by the pry bar (screwdriver shaft ). Then pry carefully and slowly til channel comes loose, the rubber normally stays on the glass in my experience, as it is removed, so pry on just the metal channel if you can.

I have re-used many of the rubber pieces.............even old rotten looking ones usually are not bad after removing them. I just clean them up good, and,.......... viola! Re-usable. If you just feel the need to use some sort of glass sealant ( I don't recomend silicone , but something more like windshiled sealant ) just line the edge of the glass before reinstall, any additinal thickness makes for a major PITA.

I figure if you put any sealer on it , then you should put the sealant on the glass edge, then place the rubber on the glass, then slide the metal over it.

I found that in some cases the rubber split if you put it on the glass first. Other cases , the rubber wadded up in the channel when in the channel first.................go figure.

Which ever you do last a bit of soapy water will allow movement into place without the damage described above, and no major mess to clean up as soap and water are great cleaners anyway.

I haven't looked for any replacement rubber ever, so I am unsure how fun it will be to find, and what quality you'll find. So think carefully and make sure that you *really* want to do this.

Hope this stuff helps.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®