No gas in fuel line, how to diagnose?

Sorry, but I am back. This time I now have 4 VW's. The most recent is a 71 Autostick. A second stab at an autostick. It seems to run perfect, when pouring gas in the carb. I rebuilt the carb. I have a clear filter so I can if their is fuel in the line before the pump. I replaced fuel line sections. Have verified that all lines are clear with air, and also the tank. I can blow from the rear line and gas bubbles in the tank. I can syphon the line at the rear and get fuel. I can't check for fuel pressure, because the pump wont draw fuel. I changed the pump with another used one, no luck. I changed it out again with another used one and cleaned the screen, that made nice sounds when I pushed on the bottom mech. I also changed the rod in their that rides the drive gear.. still no luck. This car ran untill

2000 by a single owner. I know something had to go wrong, she owned it since 73. The 2nd PO had the carb off and tank. Those were my first repairs.

Do you know what I can do to find out what is wrong? Maybe the distributor drive gear is bad? Cam might be bad and not pushing the drive gear? Is their anyway to diagnose this? Would an electronic pump be the answer?

Thanks

Reply to
Andrew

Also, before you ask.. Yes the fuel from the tank is on the bottom, and the fuel to the carb is on the top. I tried a 2 gallon jug at the back 2 ft in the air, and it still did not pump the fuel. Now will this matter? The lines to the top of the tank are open and cut. Like the one that recircs back to the filler tube? then the little one?

Reply to
Andrew

Going to swap the line right now, will let you know. I put on a weird one, I'd assume the flying saucer type.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks!!!! Worked like a charm. Just took it around the yard for the first time. This old Autostick actually runs and shifts! Going to adjust the carb... thanks again.

Reply to
Andrew

Got it to slightly idle, took 4 more laps, and backed it into it's spot. I am so excited. Can't believe the autostick features actually work on this one. It's dark, and I want to re-change the oil, etc. That was the first time fired up and running in probably 8 years.

Reply to
Andrew

Not all pumps were alike. The later ones with what looks like a flying saucer top have the inlet on top.

You can test the pushrod by turning the engine by hand and feeling the rod move.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Bravo. Well done.

And to think it's only a tad under 40 years old! LOL

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I fired up a '76 that had sat for at least 3 years. The guy I bought it from told me the engine was worn out. Doesn't seem like it to me, just needs attention. It sounds pretty good. I hope to have a running, driving VW on the road soon for under $1K. It'll be ugly, but I'll deal with that over time.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Had a similar thing once where the fuel line from tank got an "airlock". Eventually got rid of it after I,d tried everything else by blocking vent pipe from tank and pressurising tank ( not a lot of pressure, enough to faintly distend tank). This blew petrol out of the tank along the lines and took air bubble with it. Did it by cutting a tennis ball so it blocked the petrol inlet to tank and jammed a hose from my compressor through a small nick in the tennis ball. I wouldnt worry too much about an electronic pump, the existing mechanical thing worked for millions of cars over millioms of miles. I suspect your problem is elsewhere. Sure there isnt a lump of muck in jet(s) of carbie?. It,ll just be a simple thing. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Reply to
John