Oil Flow

Here we go again. I have posted here about a number of problems and got very good answers so here is a real zinger. I put an oil cooler on when I installed the engine and had it placed in front of the engine fan but I was having over heating trouble so I pulled it and installed it outside if the engine compartment. Last night I took it out to see how well it worked. My problem is that the engine oil still overheats and it does not seem that any oil is flowing through the cooler so that means that it is also not flowing through the oil filter. It is a 73 bug T-1 with a 1600 SP engine. Is there somewhere that I can see a digram of how the oil should flow? If not then what can I do to get the oil flowing as it should. I can not drive more then 10 mi's as it is without the oil temp going over 250deg. and that is not much fun. The way that I know that there is no flow is that I can hold the hose in and out on the cooler and it is cold.

Reply to
Packrat46

Pick up almost any VW shop manual and it will have an oil flow diagram. Bentley, Haynes, Chilton?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hey, if VW didn't put it there, what makes you think that bright idea would work better? Does it make any friggin sense to pull heat from the cooler and just dump it back into the cooling system air?

Do you have a full-flow setup?

Reply to
2

Reply to
Packrat46

Possibly. Try it with the sensor removed and a stiffer spring.

It could be a blocked cooler passage too.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

There's a dozen different ways to install an oil cooler. It's impossible to answer your question without knowing which method you've used.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

I am about to lose it. I have tried and tested everything and still no oil going to the cooler. The valve is not sticking and the cooler has the large

1/2in. tubes. The way that I have it now is using an adapter that replaces the stock oil cooler and the hoses run from it to the cooler and then to the oil filter and back to the adpater. The cooler is installed outside over the air intake just above the engine cover so that I can get better air flow over the cooler. I am stumped as to why it is not flowing and completly out of any ideas. I even tried talking to it real sweet and when that did not work I invented some new words for it. I stopped short of using a BMFH on it.
Reply to
Packrat46

reassemble it stock...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Strike two. Aw man! That's just crazy. Okay, later we can talk about what a bad idea THAT is. But for now, would you consider putting the cooler back where it belongs?

How's the oil pressure at the pump?

Reply to
2

Okay. That means you've simply duplicated the stock by-pass oil cooler arrangement.

But it sounds as if you've managed to shut off the flow of oil through the cooler, possibly by using the wrong gaskets on the adapter, the wrong hose, the wrong cooler core, or the wrong springs in your control valves. OR... the oil was not flowing through the cooler to begin with.

Overheating -- hot oil -- is not a problem in itself, it is merely a SYMPTOM. Additional oil-cooling capacity addresses the symptom, not the root cause.

There's a strong possibility that your original high oil temps and your present difficulties in getting oil to flow through your add-on oil cooler are both the result of a problem you've failed to diagnose.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber