OT:pets...

they become part of the family.... three years ago I had two dogs (Dalmatian and a Miniature Schnauzer) and two cats.(female Calico and black and white female)... Feb 14 three years ago we suddenly lost our Dalmatian. she was 9 years old and our first "child"... my wife was devastated, and has still not recovered from that hit... June 6 of 07 we lost the Calico cat (she was 20 years old). she had been with me since I was 14 years old... miss her... The black and white cat was a "rescue" that belonged to my mother.... I took the cat in when her great Dane got too large to play with the cat without hurting her.... I returned the cat last year... she's gone now too, now that mom has passed on.... two weeks ago my Mini-Schnauzer went ill..... we had to have him put down(11 years old, and all signs pointed to a blood cancer as the problem) this past Monday, nearly 3 years to the day (two days off) that our Dalmatian passed away.... My wife is devastated and the house seems empty with only two legged critters running around now... Interesting how much our pets become integrated into our lives... My four year old son is upset and convinced that we are not a real family now because all families have to have a dog... poor little guy...

Carry on...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Your,re right there. We had two Beagles at different times and it was a bilateral thing, they obviously didnt consider themselves pets, nor did we. I dont think its fits into the "anthropomorphic" model some experts have, its deeper than that. Actually, now I think about it the dogs were a darn sight less trouble than the kids! John

Reply to
John

You need to wait a short time and then get another pooch. Maybe 2 so they can keep each other company.

If you were closer I would have you bring your boy out to our farm. We have

7 dogs, all of which love little kids. 12-16 baby goats due any day, kittens due any day and on and on.

Your son would love our 4 Great Pyreenese as they are probably bigger then he is and they love attention.

I spent hours and hours this week placing 6 great pyreneese rescues into new homes. Finally got that all wrapped up yesterday and they will all be at their new farms next week sometime.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

my son would love your house.... you want him to come stay for awhile? LOL....

I have the task of trying to find a home for my stepdads(was my mom's) Great Dane... My stepdad isn't big on animals, and now that mom is gone he isn't going to keep the big ole mutt.... he is a great dog, and I'd take him if he were half the size...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'm good with kids for about 5 minutes. Then I start to twitch. I've heard great danes make fine pets and protectors. Don't know that for a fact but just heard it. Put a saddle on him and let your boy ride him around.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

they make great pets! this was my mom's third Great Dane... Same problem as most large breed dogs, though, they don't realize that they are so big!...

the boy would be good for you.... he wouldn't be much help around the farm, he's only 34 pounds (at nearly 40 inches tall), but he's a barrel of laughs!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Is the great dane good inside the house or is he an outside dog ? City dog or country dog ?

Only 34 pounds ? Man, thats not even big enough to drag small hay bales for me. Guess he could take care of the chickens.

Geez, if I need laughs around the farm I have my wife. She's getting on my last nerve today.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Tell me more about the great dane. Male is about all I know.

I work with various rescue groups. Usually I specialize in finding GOOD homes for livestock guard dogs like Great Pyreneese but I occasionally deal with other large dogs.

Large dogs are real hard to place right now due to the economy. In fact I'm seeing tons of them just being dumped off out in the country. Quite a few are ending up in pounds. It's real sad.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Our dog baby is a rescued pit mix that we think was trained to fight. Was very hard to deal with for about 6 mpunths but know is great. Our cat is also a rescue. we have rescued a few now and have been very lucky to find homes for ones we have brought in.

we often take bags of food to the local shelter to help out due to the greater numbers of dogs and cats that are ending up there... very sad .

Reply to
Kafertoys

I can relate. We had Two miniature poodles. One lived 11 years and the other 14 year. It does feel like you are losing a family member. We now have another miniature poodle and a shitzu. People that do not have pets do not understand the love we feel for them. I remember some years back at work that someone was badmouthing a co-worker who took a day off because their dog died.

Reply to
Bill B.

"The more I learn about people, the more I love my dog."

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Now that should be my saying. I prefer my dogs over most people. Maybe thats why I live way off in the hills like a hermit.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Time for a litle joke..................sounds like you own this hotel Randy! ;-)

DOGS WELCOME

A man wrote a letter to a small hotel in a Midwest town he planned to visit on his vacation.

He wrote:"I would very much like to br "I've been operating this hotel for many years. In all that time, I've never had a dog steal towels, bedclothes, silverware or pictures off the walls. I've never had to evict a dog in the middle of the night for being drunk and disorderly. And I've never had a dog run out on a hotel bill. Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel. And, if your dog will vouch for you, you're welcome to stay here, too."

From the Joke Doctor

Now that should be my saying. I prefer my dogs over most people. Maybe thats why I live way off in the hills like a hermit.

Randy

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That works for me.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

You need to post some pictures of/from your recluse, could be interesting for us city boys to see.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

for us city boys to see.

Yeah, I need to get working on my website again. Always seem to have other things that need doing.

Heres a link to some basic pictures of how the farm looked a couple of years ago.

Alot of those trees are gone now due to a tornado last fall and a bad ice storm a few weeks ago. Also added a couple of ponds.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

he's a black Great Dane...(male) about 16 months old... neutered and a good inside dog... he spends his days outside on the deck by the pool..... wonderful with kids as most Danes are.... he's about 150 pounds right now... I may have him a good home with a Dane lover.... I won't let him go to just anyone...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Trust me, I understand your dilemma. Been there, done that. I'm real real picky on who I place dogs with.

Why don't you want him ? Sounds like he would make a great pet and guard dog for you.

If you do need help placing him, just hollar. There are groups out there that do nothing but find homes for Great Danes.

I could use him about now. Got a mountain lion thats circling the farm at night and screaming every so often. My dogs are good but not that good. I'm really hoping this isn't the bad cat that was causing so many problems in the area last year.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I'd love to have him... but I'm a practical kind of fellow.... my house isn't large enough for him unless I offload the two kids.... I'm pretty sure the wife won't go for that, and that would only leave me, and I'm not leaving...LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hell, thats easy to solve. You just need a bigger house out in the country.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres