Plastic Tarps are Baaaad

I put two vehicles outside for storage a couple years ago; one is a 91 GMC truck, the other the Kelmark GT. I used the common plastic tarps with grommets they have around here to cover them. Bad Idea! Anywhere the plastic tarp was pulled tight to the vehicle's surface, the paint surface was utterly ruined. On the GMC the clear-coat lifted right off the body and on the Kelmark, the stain went even deeper.

In retrospect, I'm not surprised and I think I know (not sure) how it happens - the tarp gets wet and is not fully waterproof, then some chemical in the tarp merges with the clearcoat or paint. Then it dries and releases and lifts the clearcoat off and leaves a stain of its own color. Maybe the fact that the tarps froze during the cycle has something to do with it. Dunno 'bout that part.

One more Stupid Point for johnboy. Hope nobody else makes this mistake.

(FWIW, the two good Bugs are stored with full cotton body cloths under the tarps. No problem with them!)

Reply to
johnboy

I have a breatheable outdoor cover for my '66. When I am away at University it sits under it in all weathers, and for 3 years it has been absolutely perfect.

Howard Rose

Yes, those are the best.

What do you use to keep mice out of the Bug? I used mothballs (poor moths), and it seemed to work. Yesterday I pulled the trap-door by the shifter (custom) for the tunnel and *gads*, there's a mouse in the works. Just friggin disgusting. :)

Reply to
johnboy

Nothing. But I have not found any mice yet... I do keep the glovebox open just in case.

If there are any holes in the floor (if the car is under restoration) then cover them up. I had a family of squirrels living in my 1962 Mini, there where acorn shells everywhere inside it!

Reply to
Howard Rose

i use soap...(irish spring sport seems to work well) we have alot of field mice here...no problems anymore when useing soap....i read it on the internet years ago(some other board) and tried it because the moth balls() smell *too* strong...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Women hate that stuff, too. :)

Reply to