Paint help with my '02 Subaru Impreza

I have gone thru the summer, something like 5-6 months without washing my RS 2.5. I just gave it a goos wash and noticed that a few places where there was bird droppings, there is a slight discoloration I cannot wash away. Is there a way to wash these away or is it stained permanently?

Also - there are black tar bits low on the doors - scraping them and washing them smears them. Is there a way to get them of? Wanted to find out before I rinse it again in a few days and wax.

Thanks...

blakespot

Reply to
Blake Patterson

Tony Hwang

I had a couple spots like that after getting these weird yellowish things stuck on the paint. Left a bit of a shadow after taking it off (that had sat there for about a week on the paint before I had a chance to wash). I tried to polish them out but it didn't work. Luckily, they disappeared after a week or so on my silver WRX.

-Dave

Reply to
David Rees

Found at local Pep Boys? Any brands to look for?

I assume I should get this all done prior to a nice wax job. Thanks.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I do not recommend rubbing compound as it will destroy the clearcoat.

See

for a solution to your problem. See Step 2 - Surface Preparation.

I use the Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Prep and Swirl Reducer. The Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is also good for removing contaminants. These will remove the bird dropping marks and other surface contaminants (assuming they didn't eat the clear coat too bad). These products are non-abrasive so you can't screw up the paint. They also have a Clear Coat Body Scrub paint cleaner which is mildly abrasive.

I do the entire car at least twice a year with these products so the surface is smooth as glass (feel the paint your hands). Wax every few months.

Do it by hand and skip the garbage buffers which put more swirls into the paint than they remove.

I use high quality 100% cotton towels for using these products (bathroom quality). Old t-shirts will do more harm than good.

Tar and Bug remover is a solvent which easily removes tar.

I also keep Meguiar's Quick Detailer handy for removing bird droppings, water marks, bugs, etc., while they are still fresh.

Reply to
Jeff