Poll: Pancake VS Upright and some questions

Hi new poster here, I just picked up a 72' Westy, it is all original, I'm relativly familiar with the upright engines, but this pancake engine is totally new, it is acting real hurky jerky after running for a short while, every bus I've had has exhibited this same problem from time to time, once it was a bad carb, other times needing a tune-up, I have a fresh upright in the garage that I'm tempted to install, but before I give up on this here

1700, can you tell me, is there any big advantage to these pancake's? Also, mine has a single carb, were these engines dual-carbed originally? One more, I've lost my Muir book once again, and am strapped for the next few weeks, would anyone be kind enough to post a copy, if it even exsists in PDF. TIA, Mitch
Reply to
StrictlyVinyl

Stock - more HP and longer engine life --- even has a real oil filter! Type

4 engine is far superior to the Type 1 engine - abeit more expensive to overhaul. Especially better for the Westy due to its weight and aerodynamics. Yes it came with dual Solex 34 carbs. Why not give it a tune up and clean/rebuild the carb that's on it? Putting the type 1 in will cost you about 26 less HP plus you'll need to figure out how to seal heat out of the engine compartment. Check the serial number - it could be from a Porsche 914 or a VW 411/412.
Reply to
Wolfgang