304 breathing trouble and questions

Hi all. After recently replacing my intake manifold on my '76 304 Jeep along with the carb and ignition I notice some fumes coming out of the oil filler neck that I didn't see before. I mean it's pretty lively, the amount of fumes I see coming out as if though there's too much pressure in there... I thought about putting on some valve covers with breathers to help out some but when I started looking I found this at 4wd.com:

Edelbrock® Valve Covers, Chrome Product Number: 4431 Gaskets are sold separately. Fits 1966-91 with AMC 290, 304, 343, 360,

390, or 401 V8 engines. These valve covers have no PVC or breather in them. They are in the intake.

"They are in the intake." I replaced my intake. On the back of my old carb there was a hose running from the base of the carb to the intake manifold. You can see that hose here:

'm wondering if that spot on the intake manifold was a breatherlocation. I have a similar spot on my replacement intake manifold.I'm also wondering if it is, where I should hook it up, or if it wouldbe better to locate a set of valve covers with breathers to install.You can see the hole I'm referring to in this picture:
the far left. That big hole that you can see the towel underneaththe intake manifold through. I have a big rubber grommet in thereright now with a bolt plugging the hole. When I had a friend work onmy Jeep soon after I got it he replaced the rear main seal since itwas leaking pretty badly and I hear that excessive crankcase pressurecan contribute to that happening. What is my best bet? Right now Ihave that hole on the top of my new intake plugged up. Should Isomehow install a breather element back there, or hook that hole up tomy carb somewhere? (I realize my questions are kinda vague, sorryabout that... it's an Edelbrock performer with no emissions stuff onit and a Holley 670 Truck Avenger carb)... Anyone have a source forvalve covers for my 304 with breather holes in them? Thank you inadvance for input and advice.

Reply to
Shaggie

Might have a water leak. If a large amount of vapor is coming out.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR