Arrogance vs Competence

People who are incompetent in a given area often mistake those who are not as arrogant. This misconception is usually based on ignorance and can usually be altered by offering valid information, such as the fact the purpose of preventative maintenance, which is a detail-oriented task, is to PREVENT mechanical failures. The incompetent mechanic gives themselves a big pat on the back for their ability to make repairs after the part has failed, whereas the compentent sort get eight to ten times the amount of service from the same part... and then replace it during a scheduled maintenance period BEFORE it fails.

Referring to such attention-to-detail as 'anal' tells the world the person is not competent with regard to the teaching of Sigmond Freud. Just as referring to Kubelwagens in the Sahara Desert tells how little they know of history and geography.

Ignorance is mankinds normal state. Throughout our lives we strive to convert our ignorance to knowledge by seeking out and processing information, much of which can only be obtained at first-hand; we must actually do the task in order to learn it. Those who are competent in any given field understand this process because they've had to go through it. The most interesting result of doing so is coming to realize how little we know; how much more there is to learn.

But some people already know everything and thus spare themselves the agony of learning. And of course, anyone who might offer a different point of view is merely arrogant. Especially when they are right :-)

In response to Matt's message I offered an opinion based on more than fifty years of personal, hands-on Volkswagen experience and pointed him toward a source of information he'd not cited. Most saw my message in the spirit it was written. And some did not.

Tough darts.

After leading the horse to water, the rest of the job is up to the horse.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

I always enjoy reading your observations and knowlege. Prevention of problems is the same as saving time and money. In business I used to say " Taxes are not paid on Dollars saved."

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

....................I didn't start realizing how ignorant I was about aircooled VWs until I started reading this newsgroup along with some of your writings Bob. Now, I'm at least aware of some of what I don't know.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Everyone knows that. Or should :-)

I am continually amazed -- even a bit alarmed -- by the number of people who don't. Preventative Maintenance isn't exactly news. 'A stitch in time saves nine' appeared in the first of Poor Richard's almanacs in 1733.

Rather than re-enforcing the thread of common sense all humans posses to some degree, the present-day system of education and government appears determined to dumb Americans down to the point where black is white, good is evil and so on. RAMVA offers daily examples of this but at least the person is seeking valid data. What scares me is when elected officials use a budget surplus or other symptoms of mismanagement to 'prove' what a good job they're doing.

Wag the dog :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Hmm. I didn't hear anybody call you arrogant. I guess for some reason you assumed it was you that was being talked about.

Reply to
Shaggie

Wow, that came outta left field. Probably just a reminder. I'm glad I found RAMVA before I started in on my '64 Bug. What really irks me is the number of people selling their old Beetles on eBay and stating that "This would be a great car for a college student." Really? A 30+ year old VW (any 30+ year old car for that matter actually...) is great for a college student? Not.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

is great for a

...you missed the fine print:

(if said college student is majoring in auto mechanics)

..Gareth =-)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

is great for a

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Bob Hoover Wrote: "After leading the horse to water, the rest of the job is up to the horse."

-Bob Hoover

To all the horses out there please go to the water located at:

Bookmark it and read what 50 years of VW experience has to offer. :)

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Opps. try

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Bob, it comes down to this. Just smile, wave, and say "Have a nice day... Butthole". :D You can be right and talk until you're blue in the face. Some folks will just never get it. (I know, I happen to be the one staring at those with blue faces more often than I should admit to)

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Hoover knows what he is talking about. I always enjoy his subject matter as well as his prose. Keep it coming Bob. Eric 62 Ghia 68 Bug both topless

Reply to
Stutzsr

RAMVA before I started in on my '64 Bug.

and stating that "This would be a great

for that matter actually...) is great for a

I'm a college student and I have a '66 1300 :-)

It really depends on the college students ability to maintain the car, not just drive it because it's "cool".

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I've noticed over the years many people that I talk to develop blue faces during the conversation but I always thought they might have heart conditions. What about red faces? That means they have high blood pressure, right? Twitching means nerve disorders, right? I've also noticed that people with these diseases seem to think that I don't understand what they are saying..... Anyway," I believe it is much better to give headaches than to receive them."

Reply to
Dennis Wik

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:17:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dennis Wik) scribbled this interesting note:

Or, as I sometimes point out, you have to know which pennies to pinch!:~)

John Willis

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:52:49 -0400, Shaggie scribbled this interesting note:

I think it was implied by some (not you, but others!:~)

John Willis

We had a couple of annoying, f-ed up guys in the army... Not sure you want to hear this..

but one night, one of them came in the room after showering and said "I pinched n.n.*s penis in teh shower, and I got some icky goo on my hands. It was disgusting."

I bet it was.

There3 are certain memories about the army that I would rather let fade away.

One being the time when the guys had learned that I do in fact sleep with one eye cracked open. So the dude who got hie penis squeezed in the shower earlier, came in the room late at night, and told everyone about it. "Guys, did you know Andersson sleeps with his eyes open?"

To cut a long story short, he brought the guys over to my bed (I was awake at the time but I let them think I was sound asleep) and pulled his nuts out of his army issue jammies, and shoved them withing an inch or two of my face.

Cute.

I never let them know I was awake the whole time.

I don't miss the army much.

This very same guy and me swore that after we got out of the army, we'd have a good old fashioned fist fight on the parking lot the day we got out of the gate.

I didn't see him when the day arrived. Bummer. He was a total ass.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
ilambert

Umm... you STILL need to cc the heads, no matter WHAT you are building.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

and after that person just bolts everything together and it runs(and it will) they will be qualified to work a GEX....and you know about them, right?

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue